Prescot, Whiston and Rainhill Hall of Fame

By on Sunday, October 24, 2010

James Bond actor Daniel Craig, who grew up in Prescot

James Bond actor Daniel Craig was raised in Prescot

Prescot Online will be compiling a Hall of Fame to celebrate the best-known Prescotians, Whistonians and Rainhillians throughout history and up to the present day. Whose names shall we add to the list?

1. Andrew Jones

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Daniel Craig was not from Prescot. We have an abundance of celebrity without looking stupid with such false claims. Get it sorted!
    A

2. prescotonline

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Yep. He was born in Chester, but he was raised at least for a few years in Prescot.

3. prescotonline

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at 12:08 am

(Nevertheless, I’ve put in a query with Daniel Craig’s agent, as I am eager to confirm this.)

• Karen Whittaker

Friday, January 2, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Did you ever find out if Daniel Craig attended Maryville Rd School? I was born in 1965 and would be proud to say he may have been there when I was.

4. Andrew Jones

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at 8:09 am

Every time I see this written, it seems to be copy and paste job/fact. I tried to triple reference this fact and couldn’t come up with a plausible answer. That’s my reasoning. Would be great if he did spend sometime in Prescot wouldn’t it.

5. Carl Cashman

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at 9:55 am

Steven Gerrard and Willy Russell are both from Whiston.

6. prescotonline

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Andrew: I’ve seen enough variation in the details (ie more than simple copy and paste) to think there are a few sources for the Daniel Craig claim, including info that states he came to Prescot to live with his sister (Lea Craig) after his parents separated. Will let you know if and when his agent gets back to me.

Carl: I shall certainly be including Gerrard and Russell!

7. John Kemble

Friday, April 15, 2011 at 11:55 am

Gill Burns MBE – Former Women’s England Captain
    Colin Vearncombe aka BLACK – singer
    Sue Johnstone – actor
    Daniel Craig attended Maryville School for 3 years (I beat him in the school tug o war back then the wimp!!)
    Edward Leer – lyricist
    Prof Sid Watkins – Formula 1 chief medical officer
    Lord Stanley (Governor of Canada) – Stanley Cup Ice hocky named after him
    John Philip Kemble – shakespearian actor
    William Shakespeare – lived in Prescot for several years before writing a few plays and going all bigtime in London and Stratford!
    Sam Kelly – comedy actor
    Paul Lewis – classical pianist
    Peter Briggs – screenplay writer (Hellboy and other hollywood films)
    Keith Wallace OBE, MBE – WBC & WBA world title holder

• prescotonline

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 3:27 am

Thanks for all those!

• Finbarr Saunders

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Lord Stanley of PRESTON….

• prescotonline

Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm

He did happen to be Lord Stanley of Preston, but he was the Earl of Derby, whose family home is the Knowsley estate in Prescot.

• Harry Doward

Monday, March 26, 2012 at 7:49 pm

eye well and truly wiped there Finbarr?

8. Ratty

Monday, January 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm

A must to add to your wall of fame, this lovely lad I went to school with and was sorry to hear of his sad end.

Keith Wallace born 1961 in Prescot , started out with BICC Amateur Boxing Club based at the Prescot factory, Represented England at 1980 Moscow Olympics, ABA Champ twice(Flyweight)and later in 1983 as a professional became Commonwealth Champion. Obviously destined for glory. Unfortunately he died of cancer in 1999 age 38

• aimee wallace

Thursday, August 7, 2014 at 10:21 am

Hi just to correct you..my dad died on the 4th january 2000..not 1999. Thanks

9. Dave Williams

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Dont forget billy moores (septic cedric from watching) and david Williams who was in last of the summer wine for a short time and was a stand in for a European tour of les misrebles. He, being a member of equity, meant that another David williams had to change his last name to Walliams!

• Dave Williams

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 10:09 pm

P.s. it’s not me I was talking about. He was a mate of my dad