Knowsley Council Plans Will Spark Outrage in Prescot and Whiston

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

(Carl Cashman press release)

Knowsley Council plans to demolish Prescot Leisure Centre and Scotchbarn Pool will be the last straw, says Carl Cashman, a Lib Dem Activist and leisure centre user.

“The plans to demolish the Leisure Centre will leave Prescot with no civic centres whatsoever. Even worse, the demolition of Scotchbarn Swimming Baths will leave Prescot and Whiston people with no leisure facilities.”

The demolition of Scotchbarn will put an end to an important life-saving swimming club.

“I was at the Planning Committee, I watched Labour Councillors happily agree to the demolition. As I walked out a young girl from Scotchbarn Swimming Club was crying her eyes out. Those Councillors should be ashamed.” said Carl.

Scotchbarn Swimming Pool was built with money from both Prescot and Whiston Town Councils, so the taxpayers of Prescot and Whiston should be outraged by its demolition. Knowsley Council will not build a new facility in its place though; instead the area will become a car park.

Carl added: “Knowsley Council have glorified spending £1 million in Prescot, but they have spent £25 million in Huyton. I don’t see how that is fair.”

1. Jacquie

Monday, August 22, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I was told years ago that Prescot and Knowsley Council had an agreement when the Civic Hall was torn down on Aspinall Street and replaced with the new Civic Centre & Prescot Shopping Centre that we would not be without facilities in future.

So now I wonder who can justify the demolition and non-replacement of our Civic Hall as it has been converted to a One-Stop shop and now they will tear down Scotchbarn Pool and the Leisure Centre! I would be very interested to hear if anyone knows anything about the agreement I mention in my first paragraph.

2. Dave

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm

That was the agreement but I’m afraid a week is a long time in politics!
    Really simple solution – stop making this a political issue and get the WHOLE of Prescot onside with the argument and issues.

3. Brian

Sunday, October 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm

“PRESCOT PEOPLE PAY MORE COUNCIL TAX THAN THE WHOLE OF HUYTON AND KIRKBY COMBINED!”

Really? I somehow doubt that.

4. Harry Doward

Friday, October 7, 2011 at 10:01 am

Doubt all you like Brian, unless you have the figures??
    over 78% of Prescot households pay FULL council tax…fact.
    If Kirkby and Huyton have over 78% full council payers then there’s nothing to stop those towns supporting Knowlsey’s investments into housing, leisure services etc and Prescot can leave and join St Helens MBC or West Lancs as we’re obviously the poor relation…!

Sadly, Knowsley is full of invalidity claming, work shy, malingerers who get all their benefits and council tax paid for by people like me. Enough is enough so I want my FULL council tax and 40% income tax spent on my home town?

Even better, I think I’ll throw my full weight behind a Greater Liverpool Lord Mayor, which in turn should mean the end of highly paid, public sector chief execs in Knowlsey, St Helens, Liverpool and Sefton making poor decisons and wasting millions on stupid schemes that no-one wants (Dry ski slope in Kirkby FFS!).

If the threat of a Lord Mayor type figure gets these idiots into the real world and stops the inefficient spending on services we don;t need then it gets my vote.

So Brian, what’s your plan then with all this money swilling about in Huyton and Kirkby? Another leisure centre maybe?, Piano lessons for heroin addicts, Gardening clubs for single mums, Car jacking for beginners?

• Joanne

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 at 12:38 pm

A gardening club for single mums is a lovely idea! I get your sarcasm like, but you’ve come up with a great scheme, but if it happens it’ll be in Huyton!

• Brian

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Actually Harry, nothing in your response confirms that more Council Tax is collected in Prescot than the whole of Huyton and Kirkby combined .So unless you have the exact cash amounts collected from each area I will stick to my original point- I doubt the amount of council ta collected in Prescot is more than Huyton and Kirkby .As for the rest of your post ,I would be ashamed to put my name to such facile assumptions and bigotry.

5. Harry Doward

Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Knowsley can have the ‘single mum gardening club idea’ for free 😉

My family have lived here for generations, I mean hundreds of years. Traditional – worked the land, in service for Lord Derby. Fought in the major battles WW11, WW1, Crimea, Waterloo, Navarino and way back alongside Henry V and VI. There are still a few of us real Prescotians left living locally and by God, we won;t stand by much longer and watch third generation scallies decide what’s best for Prescot.
    Expand Liverpool, wipe Knowsley from the map and allow the town of Prescot (with Whiston & Knowsley Village) to join St Helens or West Lancs Councils. We managed to survive for 600 years before Knowsley Council was even dreamt up, I’m sure we could do so again.

Knowsley officals are corrupt, their staff make TOWIE seem intelligent and they will not listen to Prescot people – enough is enough.

6. David Clarke

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 at 12:22 pm

as a personal fitness instructor living on Warrington Road in Prescot I was very excited to hear that there was plans to develop a new Leisure Centre on the Scotchbarn site, as i travel to formby for my job each day, a new facility on my doorstep would be something i would be very intrested in, however hearing the news that the plans are not going ahead is to say the least ‘very dissapointing’. I am a former member of Scotchbarn Leisure centre and found it to be a busy environment with alot of demand, since entering the industry i have opted to work in modern fitness centres, unfortunatly the people who use the facilities are not inclined to travel so far afield, this inturn means that the people Prescot and Whiston are now completely missing out on all the benifits that a modern facility brings. In conjunction with such places like Whiston Hospital i believe Scotchbarn would be a very profitable business with hospital referals for fitness programs being very opportunistic for locals who are unable to travel far afield.

7. Les Birchall

Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 10:33 am

When Prescot was highjacked and put in with Huyton, Kirkby etc. We left and moved to West Lancs. Every time I visit Prescot it really does look abandoned and forlorn.
    The natural partner for Prescot is St Helens, but that boat has sailed away.

8. Harry Doward

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I see the Olympic Torch is passing through Huyton on its trip round the UK….I hope they’ve made a spare!

9. louise

Friday, December 23, 2011 at 12:44 pm

how can the council put the rent up so much in whiston and prescot for there poperty, there is a house available for rent in whiston a 3 bedroomed the council want £112.76 pr week for it yet next door only pay around &82, i thought counil property was cheaper rent they seem to be catching up with private renting prices now, so if yr out of work the council will have to pay this rent in benefits does not make any sence,and huyton and kirkby houses are a lot cheaper, can some body tell me how thr getting away with this ?????

10. Rebecca

Friday, November 2, 2012 at 9:29 am

Well, the pool is gone now. Some fool decided it would be a good idea. But take a look at this video I took of the pool before they demolished it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEcL1_j31dY&list=UUKckuLSvuzE7i9PF2zOOR-A&index=2&feature=plcp

11. Dave63256

Friday, November 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for the video Rebecca. It was heartbreaking to watch.

As for the the St Helens boat having sailed Les, I’m not too sure about that. We, as well as Whiston, have a St Helens MP as our Member of Parliament, so I think it could still be a possibility.

I do not believe that we would ever be able to ‘go-it-alone’ as we did under the old Prescot Urban District Council. It would be a lovely idea to do so, but unfortunately, we have been stripped of every asset we possessed. Our Civic Hall was demolished and left us with nothing until the new Civic Hall opened up in the Prescot Shopping Centre, which was soon occupied by Knowsley Council Offices, depriving us of the actual facility that was promised to us. And in more recent times we have seen both our Leisure Centre and our Scotchbarn Pool taken from us and demolished.

Everything we had that was worth anything has been destroyed by political decisions taken by people who have no empathy whatsoever with Prescot, and we can include our local Borough Councillors in that grouping too.

• domcoop

Friday, November 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Never say never.

Simonswood was transferred from KMBC to West Lancs in 1995.

Humberside was abolished in 1995, and its constituent parts returned to Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

The boundary commission have looked at Sefton going to Lancashire, but stupidly / deliberately (depending on your point of view) did not just include Southport (which would have voted to go by a majority) but the whole borough, including Bootle (which obviously considers itself part of Liverpool, which it is). They have the same issue (Southport being neglected to pay for Bootle).

Also in 1974, the plan was for St Helens and Knowsley to form a single borough. This only backtracked because firstly the population of both were expected to skyrocket (in fact both boroughs today have experienced amongst the highest DROP in population in the UK in 20 years, despite the overall population increase). Secondly Harold Wilson (MP for Huyton) didn’t want Huyton to be associated with St Helens.

The falling population, the Academy programme (meaning that the LEA will have nothing to do) and other factors mean that an enlarged St Helens is not only viable, but makes sense.

Basically, west of the M57 / Knowsley Expressway can go to Liverpool (who have wanted these areas since 1974 anyway); the rest – Whiston, Knowsley Village, Prescot, Cronton, merge with St Helens. Perhaps Kirkby goes to Sefton, leaving Southport to go to West Lancs.

St Helens could be called “St Helens and South Lancashire” (considering it includes places such as Newton, Rainford, Billinge, Bold which have nothing to do with St Helens)

They’re not going to do it, if they think nobody wants it!