Work on Prescot Leisure Centre Replacement to Begin

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

(KMBC press release)

Plans to invest £1.4m in leisure facilities in Prescot have been given the go-ahead.

The council’s Planning Committee approved the £1.4m scheme yesterday, which will provide modern leisure facilities on the Warrington Road site.

The plans will create a new leisure facility that will include a fitness suite and will support the outdoor facility at the site.

During the construction work, the outdoor pitches will remain unaffected. Temporary parking will be available on Scotchbarn Lane until early 2012 when the new car park for the facility will be completed.

Work is due to commence later this year and the new community leisure facility is due to open for summer 2012.

In addition to this £1.4m investment, the council has invested significantly in the area in the form of new Centres for Learning each providing extensive leisure facilities that are available to the public. Knowsley Park Centre for Learning in Prescot and St Edmund Arrowsmith Centre for Learning in Whiston both offer a 4 court sports hall, small fitness suite, multi-purpose/studio area, multi use games area pitches and a full size pitch.

Cllr Eddie Connor, Cabinet Member for Leisure, Community and Culture, commented “I’m pleased that work will commence on site over the next few weeks, which will deliver improved leisure facilities in Prescot for our residents – something we have always been committed to providing. This latest investment will complement the work carried out a few years’ ago on the outdoor pitches and bring leisure facilities in Prescot up to modern standards.”

1. Jacquie

Monday, August 22, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Unfortunately Knowsley Council are not doing enough for Prescot…our community would like a replacement pool and facilities to replace the Leisure Centre function and meeting rooms for our Town Council and community groups.

2. denise

Monday, August 22, 2011 at 10:21 pm

There already is a replacement for the Town council meeting room it is in West Street in Prescot.

3. Dave

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 7:28 pm

fine for council meetings – what about changing facilities, bar and refreshements facilities for up to 24 teams from across the UK…and a new swimming pool would be nice?

Not interested in politics, just the facilities being removed from Prescot but with no obvious replacements?? (Huyton – I wouldn’t go there without an armed guard and a stab-vest)

The Council did invest in new pitches but pointless without the above mentioned facilities to compliment what is required by Prescot residents.

In 1988 the GB Olympic Hockey team played international warm-up games at Prescot…and went on to win their one and only Olympic Gold Medal. How times have changed at Prescot Leisure Centre…shocking really.

4. Walter Leadbetter

Saturday, December 31, 2011 at 11:14 am

I recently left Prescot having lived in the area for at least 30 years and I have to admit to my sorrow at the decline I experienced in the area. I don’t claim to understand (nor do I wish to) the politics of the situation. I am just sorry to remember a once thriving and vibrant community with a shopping area it was a pleasure to use, with leisure facilities that were available for all of the local community. For whatever reason money has been pumped into Huyton and Kirkby at what appears to be the expense of Prescot. I can’t use the language I would like to use to express my disapproval but I can say that the Labour run council have many questions that should be answered! A sad ex-Prescotian.

• prescotonline

Friday, January 13, 2012 at 11:53 am

Sorry it took so long to publish this comment. We get a lot of spam, so some comments get missed. It is indeed very sad to see the town’s decline.

5. Sam

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Hello.
    As the above article states, the new Leisure/Community Centre is due to open summer 2012. As it is now the middle of May and there are no signs of a new building, just a carpark, I was wondering if anyone knows what is happening with it?

6. Dave63256

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I was asking the same question about the alleged new Prescot Community Leisure Facility myself Sam.

The Knowsley Borough Council press release above states that temporary parking will be available on Scotchbarn Lane until early 2012 when the new car park will be completed. Then it tells us that work will commence on the new community leisure facility later.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I have never come across any construction site, no matter what is under construction, that builds it’s roads first then its buildings after. It’s usually the other way around.

Knowing Knowsley, we will most likely end up with a Portakabin that has a dodgy heating system and no hot water.

• Sam

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I know; I had a wonder around there the other day and there no was no sign of life. Yet again Huyton and Kirkby (and even Stockbridge) have got new gyms and what does Prescot get? A carpark!

Also, there was a residents meeting last Wednesday at the Salvation Army, regarding proposed plans to build houses on the land of former BICC social club and bowling area at the back of Warrington Road/Sinclair Ave and Scotchbarn. Work is due to start next year.

Despite residents concern about this, no doubt this will be completed whilst the gym will remain as a carpark!

7. antoine

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 11:31 pm

wud be nice to know about this so called new leisure facility being built and real confirmation showing proper plans because you pay your council taxes all of your life and end up with a bad car park for what. Just typical of knowsley council leaving prescot till last with no plans and no explanation. our council needs to get a GRIP.

8. christine

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Where is this new gym going anyone know ??? Will it be finished by the end of summer 2012 when its not even started yet ????

9. Sam

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm

… Well I’ve noticed a banner has appeared by the carpark saying New leisure and community facilities coming soon to Prescot. No mention of any start dates though!