Prescot Watch Factory to Be Redeveloped

By on Thursday, October 18, 2012

(Press release: Knowsley Council)

Planning approval has been granted to develop a former watch making factory on Albany Road in Prescot.

Albany Road development, Prescot

Plans were approved at the council’s Planning Committee yesterday to convert the building into 54 extra care apartments, 16 extra care bungalows and 62 residential properties.  Extra care housing is designed to help people live independently, with varying levels of care and support available on site.  The residential properties will be a combination of 2, 3 and 4 bedroom houses.

The application was submitted by lIiad Mason LLP, who are owner and developer of this project.

Plans for the extra care development also include a communal lounge and dining areas, a multi function room, spa and treatment area, hair salon, TV room, assisted bathing and staff facilities.

The £11.8m development supports the council’s ongoing commitment to provide appropriate housing for our existing residents whilst also attracting people into the area.

Cassie Forshaw, Head of Marketing for Iliad said: “We’re delighted to secure approval on this scheme which will enable us to provide much needed extra care facilities in the borough, as well as a wider choice of residential homes in the heart of Prescot Town Centre.”

Cllr Dave Lonergan, Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Economy and Skills, added “This is welcome news that such a prestigious site will be redeveloped, providing a wide range of housing to suit all needs and attract more people into Prescot.  I look forward to seeing the plans develop further.”

The planning committee granted planning permission and outline planning permission subject to conditions.  The applicant entering into a legal agreement was also granted listed building consent subject to conditions.

Photo: Artist’s impression of the new development on Albany Road, Prescot

1. dede

Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 11:49 am

how many local pple will live here?when built ,ie prescot whiston rainhill, knowning knowsley council they will be brought in from out side this area ,and we know from were, so i will wait and read when this is built too see what ratio will be local ,i wont hold my breath

2. Viv Frodsham

Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm

These houses will be built quite near to me. From the information I received, I believe it will be purpose built buildings for special needs. This is the first phase. Later on there will be private houses in the second phase, at least that’s how I understood it when I saw the plans. Of course it is a listed building and will need to be preserved. I am sure it will look better than it does at the moment in its sorry, neglected state.

• lucy

Friday, July 26, 2013 at 9:44 am

Yes viv i see your point but my point is will it be council tenants or private respectable people in these houses

3. neil murray

Thursday, November 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm

looks like another piece of prescot history gone something less for the council not to worry about As my former neighbor used to say the K in Kirkby stands for knowsley and unless you live in kirkby huyton halewood thats the only time knowsley council are interested

4. domcoop

Monday, November 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Spot on Neil,

As I said on another post on here, see the way they are taking down the ornate lamp posts in Prescot and replacing them with grey painted upright posts. Just a little thing, I know, but bit by bit they remove everything distinctive from Prescot so as to spend on providing “support packages” to druggies in Huyton.

5. Tim Fields

Thursday, November 8, 2012 at 12:46 pm

All this new housing in Prescot but no new services and a town centre on its knees, does the council not do joined up thinking

6. Andy

Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 10:08 am

Building more houses? They cant even fill the houses and apartments that are being built by Tesco and the train station!! I find it pointless in building propertys if nobody will be able to use them!

7. Stephen Nulty

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I hope that when they redevelop the Watch Factory, they manage to incorporate a theme revolving around the Pals Battalions in the Great War.

The 17th Bn of the King’s (Liverpool) Regiment was the very first Pals Battalion and was based in the Watch Factory, Prescot until it went to France in 1915

Visit http://www.prescot-rollofhonour.info for more information on Prescot men in the Great War

8. Pingback: Council to Consider Prescot Town Centre Cinema | Prescot Online

9. lucy

Friday, July 26, 2013 at 9:37 am

why can’t it stay as it is…its a piece of prescot history so will knowsley council put whoever in the propertys and ruin our lovely area

10. Dave

Friday, July 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm

So all the dross, chavs and hopeless cases from across Knowsley get shipped to Prescot.
    Sorry, when did Prescot sign up to take young offenders, smackheads, ex-cons, basket cases and anyone else that have blighted their own community (ie Huyton, Kirkby an Cantril Farm)?

No wonder we’ve got murders in broad daylight.

Thank you Knowsley Council, we have at last after 40 years reached your level of expectation.

Disgraceful.

11. Tay

Friday, July 26, 2013 at 7:13 pm

It can’t stay as it is Lucy as it has fallen into such disrepair. It is not going to be demolished but redeveloped into a useful building.

Dave, as we live right next to the project, we have been party to the consultation about this project and have actually read the proposal. I assure you nowhere in it did it mention “young offenders, smackheads, ex-cons, basket cases and anyone else that have blighted their own community”. It mentioned older people who wanted to live independently and those with physical and perhaps mental support needs. It also mentions sustainable housing for people in Prescot, who can not afford to rent or buy in the area, in line with the Knowsley Housing Strategy. People who will rent or buy the houses will have to have a direct link to the area either through family or work. Perhaps they may have social needs, but I imagine many people in Prescot already have these needs, in the real world that is. I don’t recall our Council Tax Bill came with rose coloured glasses, but perhaps yours did.

12. louise

Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 12:03 am

do you know how much it is to rent a council property in whiston or prescot today if you are a new tenant its £120.79p a week for a 3 bedroom house I would not call that cheap and affordable, so don’t know how much you would be expected to pay for a brand new house in the heart of prescot, yet the rest of knowsley ie huyton kirkby pay the same as old residents, nothing makes any sense any more

13. Tay

Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Thing is Louise the average rent for a 2 bed property in the private sector in Prescot is £516 per month and a 3 bed is £610 per month. I’m not saying I agree with it, however the area does need new housing of the right type. The rent charged by social landlords is related to the value of the property, they cant charge more than the property is worth. So older properties, that perhaps, are in areas less popular are charged at a lower rent.

• louise

Sunday, July 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm

im from Wilson rd area. A band in council tax I pay £30 per week more rent than my neighbour just because I am a new tenant, this is my argument, I had to decorate every room when I got it spent 1000s on decorating and floor covering just seems unfair to me why knowsley council are charging new tenants in prescot such high rents

• Tay

Sunday, July 28, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I would ask for a rent re-evaluation then Louise. There are rent rules for people who took up a tenancy before 1989, perhaps this is why your neighbour pays less. If the property needed decorating before you moved in then the housing association should have offered you something towards the cost. Speak to your housing officer about it. Unfortunately if your tenancy says that it is unfurnished then you would have to put carpets in at your own expense. BTW I didn’t think Knowsley Council had any of their own properties anymore.

14. louise

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 9:48 pm

KHT is who i rent the propert off, as you say its because i am a new tenant i pay more but for a A band property the rent seems a bit to much expecially when council property is ment to be cheap and affordable, at £120.79p per week, yet if i would of moved to huyton or kikby i would be paying the same rent as any tenant, KHT say whiston and prescot are a sought off area to live council property is of high demand, which i know as i waited 8 years to be offered a propery in this area. On a lighter note apart from the high rent im just glad to have a council house beats private renting the house feels more like your own.

15. Stephen Chadwick

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 3:18 pm

I would like to see the site plans for the former watch factory at Albany road Prescot