Scotchbarn Baths: A Final Glimpse (Video)

By on Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Great video by Rebecca Wilson of the old pool on Scotchbarn Lane, Prescot. Sadly, it was demolished in 2011 after almost four decades, to be replaced (along with Prescot Leisure Centre) by a new Knowsley-wide facility on Longview Drive, Huyton.

What are your memories of the old swimming pool?

1. John Curd

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Left school and never got to use it

2. John Curd

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 12:06 pm

We had to travel to Knowsley RD, St.Helens.
    what can you show me in Prescot that is going to replace it?

3. Julie Ashurst

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I learned to swim there in the late 1970s. In the summer of 1983 I used to swim in the morning then walk to school at Mount Carmel, before it became a college. It got me through my O Level exams. Thanks Rebecca.

4. Nick Taylor

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Didnt realise it was that old. I went Tuesday and Thursday and Fridays evemings after public sessions to the BICC swimming club. It was state of the art with those crazy coloured rubber bands and that flashing coloured light to tell you when your time was up and the loud siren.

• admin

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Actually, I think I got the date wrong. I’m told it was actually 1973.

• Nick Gorman

Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Yes I remember that well also. Gosh those were the days when a public swimming pool was so popular that you had to time the people in it what a laugh and what a shame that there is nothing to replace it in Prescot now. Yes I know about the new leisure centre in Huyton but in those days there was a pool there as well.

5. Pauline Finn

Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 12:14 am

My two girls learnt to swim there it’s sad there’s not much left in prescot now I wonder what else you can do to the town ?

6. Tony Pendleton

Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Always wanted to see the pool when empty. Loved swimming there when I was a lad. Took my dad there last about 5 years ago. The changing rooms were filthy, toilets looked uncleaned in ages.
    I’ve a faint memory of an old swimming pool off Holt Lane, before the church was demolished. Anyone remember that?

• admin

Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I’m too young to remember that one, Tony, but I’ve asked on our Facebook page if anyone recalls it.

7. tony naylor

Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Im sure I remember the pool getting built in the 70s
    I too learned to swim there , its a shame its going/gone many happy memories of clock face crisps and hot chocolate from the cafe upstairs

8. Dave hanks

Monday, April 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I was a lifeguard in the eighteens great times

• Paula

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 12:26 pm

My dad was a lifeguard there dave Heaton x

9. Sandra Brown

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Many happy memories. I was cashier at the pool for quite a few years. Met and still friends with a lot of my colleagues.

10. Mike kenny

Saturday, July 19, 2014 at 12:04 am

I remember when it was built and the fact that it also had saunas (Also a bar!)…..
    Sooo sad that these days the kids are too wrapped up with computer games etc.to go out and exercise or whatever. When everyone says that there is nothing to do… It is because that situation has been made by those exact same people !

11. Andrew Stroud

Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 5:47 pm

The Whiston and Prescot Sub Aqua Club was formed here in 1973. We’re still active at the new Huyton pool though our training has been badly affected by the failure of the floor rising/falling mechanism which leaves us with about a metre of water!I drove past Scotchbarn just recently and saw placards depicting a new residential site for a partnership between Knowsley and Countryside. I was certain that there was some ‘caveat’ or obligation that the land was for the recreation of the people of Prescot. How have they got round that I wonder? Anyhow, I remember the bar upstairs – great for post dive lectures and socials. WAPSAC meets every Wednesday at 9pm, check out our facebook page for details of ‘Have a go’ sessions and membership.

12. John McAvoy

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 2:09 pm

I was one of the lifeguards at the pool 1977-79 had a great time.

• Sue scicluna

Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Eddie Davies was the deputy manager. I am his susan and I worked there in the change rooms and on the horrible vending machines when they got stuck 1978 1979 summers I worked there

• Sue

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 11:26 am

Hi John,
      Do you remember my dad Eddie Davies?

13. Katherine

Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 12:27 am

WOW!! I remember the swimming Gala’s in the 80’s there. Also going in our pyjamas to get the brick from the bottom of the deep end!! Nice memories

14. graham edwards

Monday, November 2, 2015 at 12:08 pm

.I had the misfortune to work there for a number of years.
    It was utterly vile.
    The place didn’t belong in the 20th century.
    Attendants in the changing area had to scoop buckets of water from the foot pool in order to wash the floors as there was no hoses or hose points available for this purpose. Spectators where charged a admission fee to watch bathers, only to discover themselves sitting on backless benches in one corner with no view available of the main pool. pool I’m surprised they were never taken to task under the trade description act.
    At busy periods in evenings and weekends the place was utter bedlam. The bathers seemed to be unable to come into contact with water without a great deal of shouting and screaming. This made it impossible to speak to anybody without have to shout to make oneself heard. The management thoughtfully added to the general cacophony by relaying loud music into the pool area.

At the front of the building on either side of the ticket office, there where two double doors, perhaps created as a means of providing a smooth flow of people wishing to enter and leave.
    The management in their wisdom kept all of these locked except for one half of one set of doors. The result of this was that if anybody stood for a short time at the entrance, perhaps to make some enquiry, this would quickly result in congestion at the one door, with the result that there was a backlog of people inside wishing to leave and people outside trying to get in.

• paul

Monday, October 2, 2017 at 12:22 am

hi graham glad to see your still going hope singing is going well. worked at scotch barn had some great experiences and met some lovely people.kmbc gave me good living respected that

15. sandra

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 12:56 am

The late 70s and 80s were amazing in this pool, I loved it so much. As a member of Prescot Swimming Club my childhood was spent in here every Monday night, Wednesday night and Sunday daytime.. lovely memories, Mr Cheetham and Mr Mccawly were dedicated teachers, there was a teacher with a limp and a whistle, can’t remember his name, he also spent so many hours teaching me. I wish I was able to say thank you to them. I still enjoy swimming a couple of miles a week 30 years later. Scotchbarn swimming pool was the best!!