Local Anger over State of Prescot Cemetery

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

prescot_cemetery_plaqueA Prescot woman has started a petition to have a plaque at Prescot Cemetery replaced.

Viv Frodsham wrote on the Prescot Online Facebook page that the sign “made the place feel special.” It’s been removed and, she believes, relocated to the new Knowsley Cemetery on Fox’s Bank Lane, Whiston. She notes that the cemetery appears neglected now.

The Fox’s Bank Lane cemetery is beautifully kept, and it should rightly make Knowsley proud. On hearing about the state of the Prescot Cemetery from several Prescotians on the Facebook page, however (you can read some of the complaints here and here), I stopped by to see for myself and take some pictures.

The critics, some of whom have generations of their family buried there, were right. What I found was:

• Several vandalised gravestones
  • Plinths and pieces of graves stacked up looking like part of a construction site
  • Missing gates
  • A new plastic sign in place of the historic plaque Viv mentioned
  • Two poles standing on their own where a sign should be

prescot_cemetery_new_sign

Prescot_cemetery_missing_sign

prescot_cemetery_grave_1

prescot_cemetery_grave_2

prescot_cemetery_grave_3

prescot_cemetery_grave_4

prescot_cemetery_no_gates

prescot_cemetery_gates_closeup

prescot_cemetery_grave_5

prescot_cemetery_bin

prescot_cemetery_grave_6

In fairness, the area around the BICC Memorial, not long situated there, offers a fitting tribute to Prescotians and a pleasant place to sit and reflect. But this only makes the poor state of the rest of the cemetery all the more regrettable. It does real dishonour and disrespect to the town and those who are buried there.

As I write, Viv’s petition needs 47 more signatures before it will be presented to Knowsley Council. Let’s hope it is an important step towards drawing the council’s attention to public feeling about the condition of Prescot Cemetery.

– Dave

1. Viv Frodsham

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Thanks Dave
    That really does just about sum it all up. My family have a plot there, when I die, that’s where I want to go, but I don’t want to rest among beer bottles and crisp packets like one of the other Prescotians mentioned. The time to do something about it is while we are alive, too late when we have gone.
    I will keep putting the petition on Facebook, and hopefully will get a few more signatures.
    Viv

2. margaret harding shepherd

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 1:44 pm

thank you dave hopefully the council will hear the people of prescot. please look after the place where we buried our loving familys, with the belief that the cemetery would always be cared for and tended.It seems that knowsley council have put all there energy into looking after the new whiston cemetery and have forgotten the people that have family buried in prescot cemetery

3. Barbara Shelton

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Thank you, I’m so glad that others care.

4. Pingback: Knowsley Council Responds to Prescot Cemetery Concerns | Prescot Online

5. Stephen Nulty

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I have spent quite a lot of time and effort researching the old St Mary’s Churchyard.

Readers may be interested to know that I have so far recorded 41,904 burials between 1665 and 1920, each of these being a named individual. Most are NOT in marked graves.

If you have any queries on these burials, or would like a “look up”, then please contact me via the Prescot Roll of Honour website

6. Jackie AUSTIN

Friday, April 19, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Shame on Knowsley Council! when other Countries can look after our war graves, and give our men and women who fought for this country the respect they deserve. Then why does Knowsley Council feel this is exectable for the good people past and present of Prescot.

• Viv Frodsham

Friday, April 19, 2013 at 6:55 pm

That’s right Jackie. If you go abroad the graveyards are impecable and it is a pleasure to walk around. If the graveyard is kept nicely, it makes you want to go. A lot of people don’t go because it is in such a state and it upsets them to think their loved ones have been left like this.

7. Viv Frodsham

Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I have visited the cemetery this afternoon, and cleaned up a little. However, I noticed that there appears to be ONE TAP for water for the whole of the cemetery. The tap at the top left corner of the cemetery has been broken. This meant I had to walk right down to the other side of the cemetery to get some water.
    I met a nice young couple who told me that each time they visit, their momentos and flowers are trashed. This just isn’t good enough.
    Please Knowsley Council, organise some water so that we can put our flowers on our loved ones graves.

8. wendy owen

Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 6:57 pm

my dad passed away last year and his only wish was to be buried with his mum and dad behind prescot parish.went for his birthday 10th april to discover vandals had trashed it.iwas so upseti wanted to scream and cried all the way home.people these days show no respect for the dead and if i had the money i would have him moved

9. Dave Johnson

Monday, April 22, 2013 at 5:37 pm

The iron gates (Manchester Road) were taken away 2 or 3 years ago “to be cleaned up”.
    I have my grand parents and great uncles buried there – it is a disgrace.

Being blunt, Knowsley couldn’t care less – a petition for the cemetery is one thing. How about Prescot OUT of Knowsley because there seems to be a groundswell of opinion that Knowsley Council should be abolished. Huyton and it’s shiny schools and facilities can go in with Liverpool, Prescot can return to Lancashire (well St Helens!). Readers may also like to know that the £700,000 spent on refurbishing Prescot Leisure Centre 5 years ago will soon be down the plug hole as a new 5 aside cage is added to one of the pitches making it impossible to use for anything else…any consultation?
    Also, the £700,000 was way way over the estimated budgets I obtained at the time – £95,000, £185,000 and a full re build for £225,000. Someone somewhere made a massive profit and that is just ONE project. How many more millions have been squandered by Knowsley over the last 40 years?
    Time to end this hiatus and get Prescot back on track – OUT OF KNOWSLEY. now.

• G mcmahon

Monday, April 22, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Totally agree the sooner the better

• Viv Frodsham

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I will be keeping an eye out to see when the plaque is replaced, and how long ‘summer’ will be before the gates are replaced. We were much better off when we had Prescot Parish Council. Knowsley Council do not seem at all concerned about Prescot and Whiston.

10. wendy owen

Monday, April 22, 2013 at 8:01 pm

viv.r u the lady i was talking to on sunday afternoon.ive tried to sign the petition but keep getting an error code x

• Viv Frodsham

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Yes, I am the person you spoke to. Don’t worry about the petition, we have made our point, and at least Knowsley Council know that the relatives of deceased of Prescot want to make their views known. I won’t give up on improving this cemetery.
      It was nice to meet you, hopefully see you there again sometime.

11. wendy owen

Monday, April 22, 2013 at 9:36 pm

viv.has little gift u mentioned u wud like the headstone cleaned.me and my husband would like to do this for you and get involved helping to get the grave yard tidy x

• Viv Frodsham

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Wendy that is so kind of you. I will be going again shortly and giving it another clean, and will ‘tidy’ up as I go along. Will keep an eye on your dad’s grave too.

12. wendy owen

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 4:37 pm

thank you.i dont get chance to go has often has i wud like has i travel from st.helens to visit him but i wud like to help out and make it a much nicer resting place for loved 1s.x

13. Pingback: £4m Project to Regenerate Historic Prescot | Prescot Online

14. Pingback: Council Replaces Prescot Cemetery Plaque, Gates | Prescot Online

15. Pingback: Returned Cemetery Gates Anger Prescot Residents | Prescot Online

16. phil mccrudden

Friday, August 16, 2013 at 10:50 pm

You are probably aware that churches are compelled by law to carey out what is called a “drop test” were unstable and leaning headstons that look dangerous are layed down,in my view it dose make the graveyard look untidy but i guess it’s beter to be safe than sorry were peoples especialy childrens welfair is conserned.
    Good luck in having GY tidied ,is it looked after by full time gardeners?.
    Regards.