Match Report: Prescot Cables 0-0 Burscough

By on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Prescot CablesMatch report from Prescot Cables FC (Tuesday 16 April):

Prescot Cables and Burscough shared the points as they fought out a goalless draw at Hope Street.  It was a match of limited scoring opportunities with both defences in control throughout the game.

Manager Dave Powell kept faith with the players who had defeated Wakefield 4-0 on Saturday and fielded an unchanged team.

Burscough kicked off playing towards the Hope Street End.

However it was Cables who were soon on the attack and from a throw in taken by Myler, Furlong headed across goal for Bathurst who was unable to keep the ball under control and it went out of play.  Burscough replied when Liam Duff went down the right past Dave Dempsey, but dragged his shot wide of the far post.

A good passing movement from Burscough saw Brookfield create an opening for Cummins whose shot across goal was easily taken by Adam Reid.  Cummins then crossed for Caddick whose shot was high over the bar.

Cables responded and Sean Myler fired well wide with an over head kick. On 17 minutes, Carl Furlong produced a fine run taking him inside the Burscough penalty area and his dipping shot just cleared the bar.  After 22 minutes Cables were awarded a free kick outside the Burscough penalty area on the right side.  Dempsey produced a fine shot bound for the far corner of the net which Horn did well to push away.

After this spell of Cables pressure, Burscough had an opportunity when after the ball had been cleared by the Cables defence to the edge of the box, Mayers hit a first time shot which flew past the far post.  Bannister then had a shot for Cables after receiving the ball direct from a throw in, but he shot straight at the goal keeper.

Burscough then put together a neat passing movement involving Caddick, Brookfield and Duff but the Cables defence cleared the danger.  Jon Bathurst then produced a good turn and run playing the ball to Sean Myler who was tackled inside the penalty area just as he was about to shoot

Burscough were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Cables box when Caddick was brought down.  The free kick taken by Williams beat the Cables wall but Reid saved it comfortably.  The first half ended with another free kick to Burscough.  Williams kick was cleared by the defence as far as Mayers who hit his shot over the bar.

Burscough applied the early pressure in the second half, Reid saving from yet another free kick.  On 56 minutes Furlong, Bathurst and Gratton linked up well down the left, Gratton however placed his pass behind Furlong with the goal begging.  A Cables defender then miss hit a back pass to Adam Reid out for a corner.  From the corner Mayers shot was blocked by the Cables defence.  Cables responded with a run down the left by Gratton whose cross was headed over the bar by Furlong with Bathurst and Bannister also rushing in.  Adam Reid was then called into action saving a fine curling shot by Quirk and yet another free kick from Williams.

Cables made two substitutions in quick succession, Webb and Evans replacing Bannister and Gratton.  Hollett, Bathurst and Furlong then produced an opportunity for Joe Evans who chipped his shot over the bar.  In the closing minutes, Burscough nearly gifted Cables a goal when Myler went on a good run down the right side after receiving the ball from a throw in.  He played the ball to Bathurst then moved into the penalty area looking for the return pass.  Williams attempting to clear the danger for Burscough sliced his attempted clearance over his own goal keeper and just over the bar.

Prescot Cables: Reid, Benn, Dempsey, Murphy, Hollett, Myler, McCulloch, Bannister, Furlong, Bathurst, Gratton. Substitutes: Evans, Wall, Webb, Bergqvist, Edwards.

Burscough: Horn, Duff, Quirk, Williams, Roberts, Tyson, Caddick, Lynch, Cummins, Brookfield, Mayers. Substitutes: Thompson, Roberts, Bury, Clarke, Wilkinson.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *