Council to Consider Prescot Town Centre Cinema

By on Thursday, June 13, 2013

Lyme_House_Cinema_Eccleston_Street_PrescotKnowsley Council are considering a cinema for Prescot town centre.

Market researchers will take to the streets later this month to find out more about cinema-going habits in Knowsley. Surveys in Prescot, Huyton and Kirkby will show whether a Prescot cinema could be commercially successful.

The results of the research will be presented to the council later in the summer. If the idea gets the go-ahead, the council plan to look for an operator to open a cinema rather than own or run one themselves.

“Based on the research being undertaken, the consultants will give their advice on the size of cinema together with optimum number of screens, seats and location,” a council spokesperson said. “At this early stage, a smaller venue seems more likely, but nothing is being ruled out.”

Prescot has had at least two cinemas in its history – the restored facade of the Lyme House cinema (pictured) can be seen on Eccleston Street, and Prescot Community Church on Kemble Street was once the Prescot Picture Palace.

Speaking to Prescot Online, the council’s Deputy Chief Executive, Mike Harden, cited new residential and commercial developments in Albany Road and Carr Lane as evidence of increasing investment in the town. He said the feasibility study would establish whether a cinema tailored specifically to the borough “could provide a further catalyst to the development of a vibrant town centre for Prescot.”

Photo: Lyme House Cinema facade on
Eccleston Street (Geoff Ormesher)

1. Ellie McEgan

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 11:23 am

Please, please,please let this happen! Either having to trek into town or St.helens is an absolute pain! Think it would really be a hit! Hopefully it happens! ☺

2. Tim Fields

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 12:57 pm

What a superb idea and the Prescot Centre which is sitting empty would be an ideal location. There must be loads of space in the old Somerfield start for starters. It might encourage some other companies as well

3. Pat Powell

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Great idea i know a lot of my grandchildren and great grandchildren go to the cinema but have to travel into st Helens or into Liverpool adding more expence to their trip to the pictures. also it would utilise empty building that are already standing empty,and as TIM Fields says it may bring more companys to Prescot and become a busy place again so yes please, and this family is hopefull it happens. 🙂

4. phil

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I agree with pat. It would be great for a cinema to come back to prescot. St.helens is the nearest one. And thats still out of the way. It would be ideal. Hope it goes through. Bring prescot back on the map .

5. Dave

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm

If its a choice between Huyton, Kirkby and prescot do you really think Knowsley council and the mandarins within will pick us??
    Believe it when I see it.

• carol pary

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 7:10 pm

do you honestly think they will pick prescot for the cinema.no chance.

6. jean johnson

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 9:12 pm

As a family that dont drive it would be great to have a local cinema

7. tony

Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 9:08 pm

fantastic news

8. Liz Collison

Monday, June 17, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I think the old cinema could provide a great space for drama, music events as well as film.
    Another idea might be to combine dinner with entertainment. See the Mill at Sonning Facebook page. I am sure the idea could be adapted.

9. Peter Briggs

Thursday, June 20, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I’m the co-writer of the movie “Hellboy”, and I grew up in Prescot and Whiston as a kid having to go to Liverpool and St Helens for my moviegoing experiences. I would wholeheartedly support a new cinema in my home town!

10. Sandra Russell

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Yes it would save having to go in to either Liverpool or St. Helens.

• RED TED

Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 7:28 pm

I Grew up in Prescot watching Batman on a saturday at the Lime House,but I think I’m a bit to old to jumb off the walls on my way home now,