Cables Grab 3-2 Win in First Game of Season

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Prescot CablesSaturday 17 August 2013
Ev0-Stik Division One North
Prescot Cables 3-2 Ossett Town
Match report by Richard Quinn

Prescot Cables snatched the points with a spectacular late goal from Dave Dempsey in a five-goal thriller at Hope  Street. It was a game rich in entertainment, and the Cables fans will have gone home well satisfied with the fare on offer.

There were several new faces on show in the Cables team, and also the newly refurbished pitch thanks to the donations received from the pitch maintenance scheme.

Ossett kicked off playing towards the Hope Street end, and after resisting some early pressure from Cables, they took the lead after five minutes. Left back Steve Jeff produced a long pass for Fernando Moke, who in turn passed to McGrory on the right, who crossed low into the penalty area for Eiles to score at the far post from close range.

Ossett continued to apply the pressure, and a good move between Fox, Patterson and Grant was cleared by the Cables defence for a corner. From the corner taken by Jeff, Grant’s powerful header was cleared off the goal line by a Cables defender as far as Fox, who fired over the bar.

Cables forced their first corner of the game on 14 minutes, which was taken by Dempsey and headed clear by Patterson. Ossett replied with a nice cross field pass from Sharry to Moke, whose cross for Grant was collected by Cables keeper Gibson. Mike Smith then crossed into the penalty area for Connor McCarthy to volley wide of the far post. A long ball for Sean Myler to run onto was cleared by Ossett keeper Taylor.

Cables won a free kick on the left on 25 minutes, taken by Dempsey, which evaded every outfield player in the penalty area and was taken under the bar by Ossett keeper Taylor. Phil Bannister then produced a fine shot which beat the keeper but went just past the wrong side of the far post.

On 36 minutes, Cables got the equaliser their pressure deserved. From a free kick outside the box on the left side, Dempsey chipped over the wall into the top right-hand corner of the goal.

Ossett resumed on the attack, and a good move between Moke, Grant and Eiles saw the latter’s shot pushed past the post by Gibson. The first half ended with a flurry of yellow cards. Ossett’s Qualter was first in the book after 37 minutes for a foul on McCarthy, followed by Murphy and Patterson following a skirmish. Just before half time a powerful long range effort from Grant just cleared the Cables bar.

The second half started with Cables on the attack. From a corner taken by Dempsey, Riley’s shot was blocked by the Ossett defence. On 47 minutes Cables took the lead. Smith produced a cross-field pass to Riley, who linked up with Bannister down the right, whose low cross to the far post was collected by McCarthy, who fired across the goalkeeper into the far corner of the net.

Ossett then had a spell of pressure and started to get back into the game. On 59 minutes Jeffs shot just past the far post from a free kick. Cables replied with Myler passing to Riley, whose shot from outside the box was well taken by Taylor. On 66 minutes Ossett centre back Liburd nearly headed past his own goal keeper when attempting to intercept a long ball out of the Cables defence intended for Riley.

Ossett were awarded a free kick for hand ball by Shinks outside the penalty area, which was taken by Patterson and headed wide at the far post by Walton. Sibenge then found himself clear for Ossett, taking the ball round Gibson only to shoot into the side netting. Cables made a double substitution, Furlong and Kusoluka replacing Riley and Smith.

Ossett continued to pressurise the Cables goal, and Walton shot wide after being set up by Grant; then Eiles had his shot saved by Gibson. Eiles then had a header well-saved by Gibson, who managed to flick the ball away as it was heading for the top corner, and Kusoluka cleared the danger with a spectacular over-head clearance. Ossett’s pressure finally paid off when they equalised on 81 minutes. Grants low cross from the left was slid home at the far post by Eiles for his second of the afternoon.

However, Cables showed their never-say-die spirit when they regained the lead two minutes later. Cables were awarded a free kick just outside the Ossett penalty area, and up stepped Dave Dempsey to curl a spectacular shot into the top right hand corner of the net. Ossett weren’t finished yet, however, and Jeffs and Walton both fired over as they pushed forward for an equaliser. Cables made their final substitution, Williams replacing McCarthy and Kusoluka almost made it four for Cables, with a long range effort just over the bar.

Prescot Cables: Gibson, Richards, Dempsey, Murphy, Eiselt, Smith, McCulloch, Bannister, Riley, Myler, McCarthy. Substitutes: Salar, Williams, Furlong, Kusoluka, Novak.

Ossett Albion: Taylor, McGrory, Jeff, Patterson, Liburd, Qualter, Moke, Sharry, Grant, Fox, Eiles.

Substitutes: Walton, McGhie, Sibenge, Smith, Convey.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *