Match Report: Prescot Cables 0-0 Congleton Town

By on Monday, September 2, 2013

Prescot CablesSaturday 31 August 2013
Evo-Stik Division One North
Prescot Cables 0-0 Congleton Town
Match report by Richard Quinn

Prescot Cables and Congleton Town fought out a goalless stalemate in a hard-fought FA cup tie at Hope Street. It was a game of few scoring opportunities, and Cables goal keeper Nick Culkin did not have one direct shot on target to save during the entire game.

Cables kicked off playing towards the Hope Street End, and a long ball for Myler to chase was headed out for a corner by the Congleton defence. From the corner, the Congleton defence headed the ball out for another corner as Cables continued to apply the early pressure.

Another cross by Myler from the left was headed out for a corner taken by McCarthy, from which Murphy headed narrowly wide at the far post.  Bannister then played a neat ball into the box for Myler to run on to, but the Congleton keeper collected the ball.

After 20 minutes, Kusaloka made a fine run from deep passing to Myler, whose shot was blocked by the Congleton defence.

On 25 minutes, Congleton’s Worrall was booked for a foul on Doran, and McCarthy’s free kick from the right was headed clear. Congleton made one of their rare excursions into the Cables half when a long throw out from Congleton keeper Pearson released Graham down the left, his cross being well taken by Culkin.

Cables won another corner, and McCarthy played a short ball to Myler, whose deep cross to the far post was headed back across goal by Murphy, where Rob Doran with an empty net gaping failed to connect cleanly and the chance went begging.  As the first half drew to a close, Phil Bannister had a shot blocked from a corner, from which McCarthy’s volley was blocked by the Congleton defence and Lynch chipped the rebound past the far post. A long ball by Cables, out of defence, was headed on by Doran for McCarthy to chase, and was pushed past the post by Pearson in the Congleton goal for a corner.

The second half started with a long ball by Congleton going straight out for a throw in. Cables won a free kick on the left side outside the box taken by Myler, which was held by Pearson at the second attempt. Congleton responded with a nice move down the right between Koral and Graham, the latter taking the ball out of play.

Sean Myler found his name in the book after 56 minutes for a foul on Worrall. Just after the hour mark, Congleton missed a golden opportunity to take the lead. After good build-up play down the right side between Gill and Graham, Turner found himself unmarked in front of goal but proceeded to fire over the bar from 6 yards out with the goal gaping.

Cables responded with McCarthy and Doran both having shots blocked, then Pearson saved from Kusaloka. Cables made their first change on 66 minutes, when Gratton replaced Doran. Gratton went down the right side, but there was no one in support, and his cross was cleared by the Congleton defence.

Myler then produced a long ball for Kusaloka to run on to, but it was cleared for a corner by the Congleton defence.

Cables made their second substitution, Furlong replacing Kusaloka in the hope of snatching a late winner.

McCarthy had a shot blocked and a long ball into the box from Myler was taken by Pearson in the Congleton goal.  Gratton had another shot blocked as Cables laid siege to the Congleton goal.

On 80 minutes, Congleton were awarded a free kick outside the box on the left, and Turner’s shot nestled on the top of the Cables net as he fired just too high.  Cables had a chance to break the deadlock on 86 minutes, when from a short cross by McCarthy, Bannister headed straight at the keeper from 6 yards out. A long ball from Ged Murphy intended for Carl Furlong was deflected by a defender to Pearson, in the Congleton goal, who collected the ball. Cable appealed for a free kick, but the referee ruled that it was not an intentional back pass.

In injury time, Cables were awarded a free kick outside the box, taken by Lynch, which was headed away by a Congleton defender as far as Sean Myler, who fired over the bar from the edge of the box.

Prescot Cables: Culkin, Beattie, Lynch, Murphy, Shinks, Doran, McCulloch, Bannister, Kusaloka, McCarthy, Myler. Substitutes: Cairns, Eislet, Smith, Furlong, Gratton.

Congleton Town: Pearson, Middleton, Bayley, Alston, Whiteoak, James, Willis, Gill, Jones, Turner, Worrall. Substitutes: Koral, Graham, Sephton, Burgess, Banyihwabe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *