Match Report: Prescot Cables Smash New Mills 7-1

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Prescot CablesSaturday 7 September 2013
Evo-Stik Division One North
Prescot Cables 7-1 Congleton Town
Match report by Richard Quinn

Prescot Cables were in seventh heaven after this emphatic victory over New Mills at Hope Street.

Cables came from a goal behind to lead 2-1 after an evenly contested first half, and consolidated their lead with two goals in as many minutes after the restart. New Mills threw caution to the wind as they sought to reduce the deficit, and Cables took full advantage adding three more goals.

Cables kicked off playing towards the Hope Street end, and Cables keeper Nick Culkin was soon in action saving from Rother.

Cables were soon on the attack through Beattie and Furlong, and McCarthy’s cross was cleared by the New Mills defence.

A miss-hit clearance from the New Mills defence was then picked up by Myler, who passed to Lynch on the left, whose cross was met by Connor McCarthy, whose looping header nestled on the roof of the net. McCulloch then won the ball in a tackle and fed Lynch again, whose cross for McCarthy was punched clear by New Mills keeper Collinge.

Collinge was soon in action again, palming away Furlong’s goal-bound header, then recovering in time to save at the feet of McCarthy.

After this flurry of goal-mouth activity from Cables, New Mills took the lead on 10 minutes.

A long ball out of defence was picked up by Nevins, who rounded Culkin and fired the ball into an empty net. Cables replied with a shot by Myler which was blocked by a New Mills defender. Carl Furlong then laid the ball off to Doran who went past a defender and clipped his shot just wide of the far post.

McCulloch, Furlong, Doran and McCarthy all had shots blocked in quick succession as Cables applied the pressure. Nevis then came close to scoring a second for New Mills with as hot from outside the box which went just past the post, then he glanced a header just wide from a cross by Rother.

Cables equalised on 25 minutes when Myler’s through ball was picked up by McCarthy, who scored in the right-hand corner from just inside the box. New Mills then had an opportunity when the Cables defence failed to clear, and Rother’s shot across goal was saved by Culkin.

Cables regained the lead on 37 minutes when Smith dispossessed Melford Knight, and his hot was parried by Collinge, only for McCarthy to score close range at the far post. New Mills retaliated with a cross from Weston, which was headed wide by Meakin, then Anthony Shinks produced a fine tackle on Nevins as he was about to shoot.

Cables began the second half with two goals inside the first two minutes. A long ball by McCulloch found Doran, whose shot rebounded over the goal line off the near post. Straight from the kick-off McCarthy put Doran through again, who round the keeper and passed across goal for McCarthy, who took the ball on and stooped to head it over the goal line for his hat trick.

Shaken by this flying start to the second half by Cables, New Mills threw caution to the wind, and Hampson headed over from Fish’s cross. Another cross from Weston for Fish was well taken by Culkin in the Cables goal. New Mills then missed a golden chance when, from a corner by Rother, Shaw headed over from in front of goal. Cables then had an opportunity when a long ball out of defence put Doran clear who took the ball round the keeper only to shoot into the side netting.

On 63 minutes, Cables scored their fifth goal when Doran took the ball on from McCarthy, after good work from Murphy, and scored with a fine shot from the edge of the box. Cables made their first substitution of the afternoon, Gratton replacing Furlong. Gratton was soon in action taking the ball round the keeper and firing towards goal, only to see it headed away by a defender.

On 70 minutes McCarthy just cleared the bar with fine shot on the turn. McCulloch then tried to chip the keeper, but Collinge saved well. Doran then took McCarthy’s pass, went past two defenders and fired over the bar.

Cables made their second substitution on 75 minutes, Kusaloka replacing Myler. Within a minute, Kusaloka was on the score sheet prodding home Gratton’s cross from close range.

On 81 minutes, Doran scored Cables’ seventh of the afternoon, turning a defender inside the box and slotting the ball in the far corner of the net. Cables made their final substitution of the afternoon, Bannister replacing Smith.

Cables nearly added an eighth when Gratton’s free kick was tipped over the bar by Collinge in the New Mills goal.

Prescot Cables: Culkin, Beattie, Lynch, Murphy, Shinks, Doran, McCulloch, Smith, Furlong, McCarthy, Myler. Substitutes: Cairns, Bannister, Kusaloka, Gratton, Gibson.

New Mills: Collinge, Weston, Grimshaw, Knight, Wood, Shaw, Meakin, Rother, Fish, Hampson, Nevins. Substitutes: Baguley, Poxon, Parker, Hampson, Burke.

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *