Road Closed after Rainhill Taser Incident

By on Friday, October 4, 2013

DSC_1878.JPGMerseyside Police have confirmed that a man was tasered by officers in Rainhill this morning (Friday 4 October).

A resident of Longview Road, near Whiston Hospital, phoned police at 8.22am to report a suspicion person loitering outside her house.

The man had gone by the time police arrived at 8.40am, but they found him ten minutes later near the Shell Garage on Warrington Road.

Although police initially regarded the situation as non-threatening, the man became aggressive when approached. They used a Taser to subdue him.

A section of Warrington Road was closed until about 9.30am for collection of forensic evidence related to the Tasering.

Police suspected mental health problems or drug abuse may have been a factor in the man’s behaviour, and he was taken to Whiston Hospital for assessment.

Image: Police tape (Jayneandd)

1. mal evans

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 12:04 pm

why did he become aggressive?…how did the police approach him?.after all.! if he had committed a crime or was a on the run for a crime,but i cannot understand why the police have treated him in this way on hear say and also was he loitering? if the police was quicker at there response they may of caught him on the scene and gathered evidence to arrest him..and maybe found reason to use force, i’m starting to think he was angry as yet again the police maybe stomping on there authority..it’s happened to me before,,,when i was gassed and put in a cell for 27 hrs and released with no charge…and all because i protested how they was treating me…the police need to calm down if this is a repeated scenario as what i went through,it begs thequestion!!!

2. Eve

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Why was this man tasered? Was he a threat? Police gone too far I think.

3. Clive

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Difficult to make any assessment without actually being there at the scene, but it does sound a little heavy handed. I dread to think what will happen if the Police in the UK ever become fully armed.

4. lee

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I believe I know the man in question that was arrested today. He is a very large man with a bad temper fuelled with steroids and a horrible demeanour who has terrorised and bullied the estate where I live. When they apprehended him I am not surprised they had to use force as he is a horrible bully, so I would not be so quick to judge the police. Maybe one of you would have liked to arrest him, I think not….

• Linda

Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 7:41 pm

He does not take steroids , and he suffered depression through a breakdown of his relationship . Also his son had been getting bullied on the estate and he had been defending him at times not terrorising neighbors!!!!! .

5. Jane

Sunday, October 6, 2013 at 2:23 am

I know first hand what happend. Intimidating women in their own home enough to call 999. Officers caught up with him and tried to talk to him. Head butted the male police officer and then went for the lady officer. The police are there to protect, they do a dangerous job, they have to use whatever method they feel appropriate. Six taser shocks and still going. Maybe this man needs to rethink his lifestyle.