Warrington Road, Prescot: Vintage Photos

By on Thursday, October 17, 2013

Enjoy this selection of vintage photographs of Warrington Road in Prescot, courtesy of collector Alec Wallace.

The first three appear to be from roughly the same era, showing Warrington Road looking away from Prescot, towards Rainhill. The photographer would have been standing roughly at the junction of Eccleston Street, just past where The Big Chippy now stands.

To the right is Tommy Hall’s pub, and the tallest building on the left is the Reform Club. Further down the street, with the black-and-white timber front jutting out, are the old Parish Rooms.

Warrington_Road_Prescot_2

warrington_road_prescot_4

warrington_road_prescot_3

warrington_road_prescot_1

This next picture shows the same stretch of road from the other end, with Beaconsfield on the left. Perhaps some old-timers can identify the building? It may have been the Salvation Army church, which later moved nearer further away from the town centre. The old church school would have been somewhere just out of the photo.

warrington_road_prescot_beaconsfield

Finally, the old BICC Dining Rooms, which later became part of Prescot Leisure Centre. These were demolished in 2011 to make way for the new Prescot Soccer & Leisure Centre.

Warrington_Road_BICC_Canteen_Prescot_Leisure_Centre

1. Christine Cope

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Tantalising glimpse, but end of Eccleston St where I used to live is out of shot. Are there any photos taken of where the old Welsh chapel used to be?

• Lorraine Harvey

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 10:49 pm

I had family live at number 76 Eccleston street .

2. Paulinefinn

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I love the old photos of Prescot use to go to the church school also use to dance at the parish rooms lovely times

3. Marjorie Rowlands

Saturday, October 26, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Great to see these old photos.
    I lived in Longview, but worked in BICC for two years when I left school in 1953.
    I would love to see more of the old roads and picture houses The Lyme House in Eccleston street,
    the other one was in the road that ran at the back of Eccleston street, can’t remember its name but we called it the flea pit. We always came away scratching. Happy days.

• david naylor

Friday, December 13, 2013 at 8:32 pm

you mean the cinema at the end of kemble street,that was the palace

• Edith Carter

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 7:15 pm

It was called the Palace,We called it the flea pit as well.Much preferred the Lyme House, thought it was much posher!! The good old days at.I think it became Lennon’s supermarket after it closed.

4. Pingback: Warrington Road, Prescot: Vintage Photos « Prescotian Newsblogger

5. Colin Johnson

Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I remember working at the BICC building opposite in 1986 as part of my YTS scheme, the staff go across to the building for their lunch break, the food is quite good actually and we had the staff Christmas party in that building, when I was later assigned with BICC Vero based in Parr, I remembered a Cougar (we didn’t have that word then) working there that kept coming on to me, being a 17 year old lad I didn’t quite know what to do with the attention lol.

6. cliff

Sunday, October 12, 2014 at 10:23 pm

The photo of Warrington road and Beaconsfield St.

The property you think may be the salvation Army, Is the end of terrace property and was a shop that sold cakes and bread the owner was Miss/Mrs Ginny Edwards the Salvation Army building was at the other end of beaconsfield st

• Irene Turner

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 8:36 pm

I lived in Beaconsfield street number 28 I often went to the shop, I recall it as Ginny Woodwards . I went to the church school in the street .i was Irene Clough then,

7. yvonne evans nee arnold

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 9:07 pm

enjoyed looking down memory lane,left prescot in 1972 and sailed to Sydney Australia, I to went to the church school and had dancing lessons in the old parish rooms.but I forgotten what the pub was called where the 97 bus stop was.thank you great photos

8. Sue Jennings

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 2:21 pm

i was born and bred in Prescot and I love the old photos..

9. Neil Bebbington

Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:27 am

These pics have the power to instantly bring back the memories.
    Super stuff.