Match Report: Prescot Cables 1-2 Kendal Town

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Prescot CablesSaturday 15 March 2014
Evo-stik Division One North

Match report by Richard Quinn

Prescot Cables were beaten by Kendal Town at Hope Street. Kendal were two goals ahead at half-time, but Cables mounted a valiant fight back in the second half and just fell short in the end.

Manager Dave Powell made five changes from the side which had drawn at Padiham the previous week, with Shinks, Haynes, Gilroy, Furlong and Pinto-Viera replacing Foy, Jarrett, Coyle, Doran and Shirley.

Cables kicked off playing towards the Park End, and a high ball into the penalty area was collected by Kendal keeper MacDonald under pressure from Carl Furlong.

Kendal responded by forcing a corner, which the Cables defence managed to clear for a throw-in.

From the throw-in, Callum Hoctor crossed from the left, and Lowton in the Cables goal gathered it comfortably.

McGeechan then went down the right side and played the ball inside to Mitchley, but the Cables defence cleared the danger. A long ball by Wilson was then played into the Cables box and was headed out for a corner.

On nine minutes, Lowton saved spectacularly from Wilson, tipping his 25-yard pile driver over the bar for a corner. From the corner, Cold’s header was pushed away by Lowton as far as Mitchley, who hit his shot too high and over the bar.

Cables eventually managed to mount an attack, and a cross by Gilroy was headed wide by Pinto-Viera. Furlong then produced an overhead pass for Kusaloka, but the Kendal defence cleared the danger.

On 24 minutes, Kendal were awarded a penalty for a handball by a Cables defender. Beattie placed his kick to the right of Lowton, who managed to get a hand to it but could not prevent it going in to give Kendal the lead.

Kendal were soon mounting another attack, and Mitchley’s cross was headed clear by Haines for a corner.  From the corner taken by Codd, Beattie headed wide.

Kusaloka then appeared to be brought down as he was going into the Kendal penalty area, but no free kick was given.

Kendal increased their lead on 31 minutes, when a long free kick bobbled into the Cables penalty area and deceived both the defence and goalkeeper. Lowton was unable to gather it, and Mitchley touched the ball past him from close range.

Kendal had a further opportunity when they were awarded a free kick just outside the penalty area. Lowton again did well saving Codd’s free kick at the foot of the post.

Cables began the second half showing more determination and commitment than in the first half, as they sought to reduce the deficit.

From a throw-in, Isaac Kusaloka shot straight at Macdonald. Then Kusaloka took a nice pass from Bannister, turned a defender and shot just past the far post.

Pinto-Viera then linked up with Kusaloka, who passed to Bannister who shot wide. Lowton then came to Cables rescue again pushing Mitchley’s shot away for a corner.

Cables made their first change, with Robinson replacing Furlong.

Kendal were proving to be dangerous down the left side, and McGeechan whipped in a fine cross, which was again well-taken by Lowton.

Cables attempted to make use of Kusaloka’s pace by playing the ball over the top of the Kendal defence, and he just failed to connect with a long ball from Pinto-Viera.

On 72 minutes, Cables finally pulled a goal back when Kusaloka latched onto another long ball and slid the ball past the advancing Macdonald and into the net.

Cables made their second change, Coyle replacing Gilroy. Cables surged forward in search of an equaliser and Kennedy crossed from the left into the box only for Macdonald to take it comfortably.

Cables were awarded free kick for a foul on Luke Robinson. The free kick, taken by Balazs, was headed wide at the far post by McCulloch.

Bannister tried a long-range effort which was well wide of the target.

Cables made their third and final change, Dempsey replacing Haynes.

Cables had one last chance when they were awarded a free kick. which was taken by Dempsey. The free kick was cleared but played back in again for Robinson, who headed across goal, but Macdonald was there to collect the ball.

Prescot Cables: Lowton, Balazs, Kennedy, Shinks, Haynes, Gilroy, McCulloch, Bannister, Kusaloka, Furlong, Pinto-Viera. Substitutes: Cairns, Dempsey, Coyle, Robinson, Culkin.

Kendal Town: MacDonald, Ross, Hoctor, Beattie, Mercer, Smith, Wilson, Cold, Mitchley, McGeechan, Carney. Substitutes: Mathieson, Rushton, Watson, Stringfellow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *