Match Report: Prescot Cables 5-1 Padiham

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Prescot CablesSaturday 6 December 2014
Evo-Stik Division One North
Prescot Cables 5-1 Padiham
Match report by Richard Quinn

Prescot Cables returned to winning ways with a convincing victory over bottom-of-the-table Padiham at Hope Street.

It was a vital win for Cables, and whilst they remain in 20th place, there is now a four-point gap between Cables and New Mills in 21st place.

It was only Cable’s second home league win of the season, and their supporters must have thought Christmas had come early as they enjoyed a five-goal feast.

Cables kicked off playing towards the Knowsley end and were soon on the offensive, forcing an early corner. The corner kick was taken by Doran and only partially cleared to the edge of the area, where Whitehall tried his luck at goal and put his attempt wide.

Padiham ventured into the Cables half, with Wilks and Bromley linking up down the right side. Wilks’s cross was cleared by Joe Evans, but the assistant referee had already raised his flag for offside.

Quinn took the free kick for Cables, launching it deep into the Padiham half. Whitehall won the ball and neatly flicked it on for the advancing Mason Ryan, who strode into the penalty area and fired home from 12 yards to give Cables the lead on four minutes.

Cables were awarded another free kick for offside, again taken by Quinn, but this time it was too long and taken by his opposite number Burgess. His long clearance was flicked on by Ormerod for Coid, but Jonah O’Reilly put the ball out for a throw in.

On nine minutes, Padiham were awarded a free kick when Rob Doran pushed Gregory. Padiham launched the ball deep into Cables’ half, and Ben Allen attempted a curling shot which just went wide of the far post.

Cables were awarded a penalty on 11 minutes, when Jack Phillips went down to a clumsy challenge from a Padiham defender.

Rob Doran slotted home the spot kick to put Cables 2-0 up. Cables were soon on the attack again down the left side, and O’Reilly headed on to Doran, who headed over the bar.

Tom Quinn came to Cables’ rescue on 19 minutes, with a spectacular save, when he flicked Brett Ormerod’s shot over the bar for a corner.

Quinn was soon in action again, getting up well to take a long cross from Wilks. On 30 minutes, Quinn saved from Bromley’s free kick, gathering the ball at the second attempt as Padiham began to come more into the game.

Cables were awarded a free kick for a foul on Ryan, which was taken by Doran, Whitehall just failing to get a touch on it as Padiham keeper Burgess held on to it.

Padiham made a substitution on 33 minutes when Ashley Young replaced the injured Mark Sharples. Young was soon in action down the left side, crossing for Brett Ormerod, but Liam Dodd was first to the ball and headed it out for a corner.

The corner kick was cleared by the Cables defence to the edge of the penalty area, where Coid tried a shot on goal putting it wide of the post. As half time approached, Jack Phillips took Mason Ryan’s pass and tried to chip the goalkeeper but Burgess held it comfortably.

Padiham made their second substitution at the start of the second half, Davis replacing Bromley. Padiham were soon on the attack in the second half, forcing a corner on the right.

From the corner, Andy Griffiths brought the ball under control with his hand, and the referee pointed to the penalty spot. Ormerod converted the spot kick on 48 minutes to make it 2-1 and give Padiham a lifeline. Cables responded by winning a free kick outside the Padiham penalty area.

The ball was played into Whitehall, who held off a defender and saw his goal-bound effort deflected wide of the post for a corner.

Padiham now started to get more into the game, but despite their territorial advantage, they failed to create any clear-cut chances. Cables made a double substitution on 67 minutes, Corlett replacing Doran and Prince replacing Bootham.

Prince’s impact was immediate, as he exerted his influence on the game with some neat passing, and he came close to increasing Cable’s lead when he fired into the side netting. On 72 minutes, Griffiths and Corlett linked up down the right, Corlett crossing low across the goal, where nobody was able to get a final touch.

Padiham were still in the game and were awarded a free kick, from which Young fired the ball high over the bar and out of the ground.

On 75 minutes, Cables score their third goal from a quick break out of defence. Corlett went on a run through the middle, feeding Jack Phillips on the right, who scored with a fine shot inside the far post.

Cables made their third change on 77 minutes, Phil Bannister replacing Jack Phillips. Padiham introduced ex-Cables player Craig Haynes for Gregory.

On 85 minutes, Cables added a fourth goal, Prince passing to Ryan whose low cross was deflected into his own net by Overson.

Mason came close to adding a fifth when his shot was pushed away by Burgess for a corner. However, it wasn’t over yet, and with the last kick of the match Andy Griffiths dipping cross to the far post evaded both Daniel Whitehall and Burgess, going in off the post for Cable’s fifth goal.

Prescot Cables: Quinn, Griffiths, O’Reilly, McCulloch, Dodd, Evans, Doran, Phillips, Whitehall, Ryan, Bootham. Substitutes: Corlett, Edgar, Bannister, Prince, Golding.
Padiham: Burgess, Wilks, Gregory, Overson, Murphy, Coid, Bromley, Sharples, Allen, Ormerod, Dickinson. Substitutes: Haynes, Davis, Young, Scott, Byrom.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *