Match Report: Prescot Cables 1-1 Droylsden

By on Monday, January 5, 2015

Prescot CablesSaturday 3 January 2015
Evo-Stik Division One North
Prescot Cables 1-1 Droylsden
Match report by Richard Quinn

Prescot Cables and Droylsden shared the points in a hard-fought encounter at Hope Street.

It was Cables’ fourth game in nine days, and they can be pleased with their record of one win, two draws and just one defeat, during a hectic holiday programme against some difficult opposition. Droylsden included ex-Cables player Sean Myler in their lineup.

Droylsden kicked off playing towards the Hope Street end. A long ball by Ali Brown for Andy Flower was over-hit and went out of play. Cables replied with a nice ball from Ryan for Durninm with Droylsden keeper Saunders coming out of the penalty area to clear the ball.

Cables were awarded a free kick, taken by Prince, which was headed on by Corlett and collected by Droylsden keeper Russ Saunders.

Prince went on a long run from deep, advancing into the Droylsden penalty area, and attempted a shot which went over the bar.

Prince was soon in action again, passing inside to Durnin, whose shot was blocked and cleared by the Droylsden defence.

Cables won a corner kick on 25 minutes, taken by Prince, which was cleared to the edge of the penalty area, where Evans was waiting to try a shot on goal. It was blocked and deflected into the path of Prince, who was unfortunately in an offside position.

Droylsden relieved the pressure by winning a free kick, halfway inside the Cables half. The free kick, taken by Morning, was aimed for Ben Deegan but was collected comfortably by Ciaran Gibson.

Cables had an appeal for a penalty turned down when a Droylsden defender appeared to handle Joe Evans’s cross.

Cables, however, did win a free kick on 35 minutes, just outside the penalty area. Prince took the free kick, chipping the ball over the Droylsden wall but unfortunately wide of the near post. Ciaran Gibson was then brought into action after fine play down the right side between Brown and Hibbs, Gibson saving Morning’s shot.

As the first half drew to a close there was a flurry of action, as play switched from one end to the other.

A long ball over the top of the Droylsden defence found Sam Corlett, who passed inside to Oscar Durnin, whose shot was saved by Saunders. Droylsden’s response was immediate, with Saunders’s clearance finding Morning. whose shot was well saved by Gibson.

In first-half injury time, Cables were awarded a free kick for a foul on Ryan Mason. The free kick, taken by Harper. was headed out for a corner. Prince took the corner, which was aimed low into the goal mouth, where it fell nicely into the path of Liam Dodd. who prodded the ball into the net from six yards.

Droylsden made a double substitution at the start of the second half, Cortes and Hall replacing Morning and Myler.

Droylsden were soon on the offensive, forcing two corners early in the second half.

Prince went on another of his runs from deep, advancing into the penalty area, his shot being deflected for a corner.

Droylsden mounted another attack, and Michael Monaghan (not the rugby player!) forced a good save from Ciaran Gibson with a header.

Cables made their first change on 58 minutes, Jack Phillips replacing Sam Corlett.

Droylsden stunned Cables with an equaliser on 59 minutes. Cortes used his pace to good effect down the right, crossing low into the penalty area, where Andy Fowler fired home from close range at the far post.

Cables responded quickly, and Evans passed to Phillips, who was brought down by Caldercott, who ended up receiving a yellow card. The free kick, taken by Prince, was headed over the bar by Liam Dodd.

Phillips was certainly having an impact on the game since his introduction, and he set up Prince inside the penalty area with a neat pass. who shot straight at Saunders, who saved comfortably.

Droylsden came close to taking the lead when from a corner, taken by Flower Monaghan, flicked the ball wide at the far post. The game was now opening up and flowing from end to end as both sides went in search of a winning goal.

Droylsden made their third change on 71 minutes, when Dogan replaced Caldercott.

Monaghan and Deegan played a neat one-two, which Gibson was alert to, and he collected the ball from the feet of Monaghan.

Cables were awarded a free kick outside the penalty area when Durnin was brought down. Prince again took the free kick, curling it wide of the far post.

Cables made their second change, James Edgar replacing Oscar Durnin. Edgar was soon in action, his shot from outside the penalty area being held by Saunders at the second attempt

Cables won another free kick, again taken by Prince, hitting it low into the box, but Saunders collected it comfortably.

As the game drew to a close, Droylsden almost snatched a late winner when, from a free kick on the right, Gibson made a fine save from Flower’s header. Monaghan fired the rebound towards goal, only for a Cables defender to block it on the goal line.

Prescot Cables: Gibson, Flood, Harper, McCulloch, Dodd, Griffiths, Prince, Evans, Durnin, Corlett, Ryan. Substitutes: Phillips, Bannister, Edgar, Dean, Goulding.

Droylsden: Saunders, Brown, Caldercot, Frost, Hampson, Hibbs, Myler, Monaghan, Deegan, Fowler, Morning. Substitutes: Burke, Cortes, Dogan, McNamara, Hall.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *