Match Report: Prescot Cables 2-3 Northwich Victoria

By on Monday, January 26, 2015

Prescot CablesSaturday 24 January 2015
Evo-Stik Division One North
Prescot Cables 2-3 Northwich Victoria
Match report by Richard Quinn

Northwich Victoria snatched victory from the jaws of defeat with two late goals in an exciting game at Hope Street. Cables led 2-1 with seven minutes of time remaining and were good value for their lead.

Cables Manager Neil Prince made just one change from the side which had started against New Mills two weeks ago, Tom Quinn replacing the suspended Ciaran Gibson in goal. Amongst the substitutes was Liam Hollett, making a welcome return to the club.

Northwich included Muhammad Ali at left back, and he certainly lived up to his name, adding some punch to the Northwich attack down the left side.

Northwich kicked off playing towards the Hope Street End. There was an early scare for Cables when a long clearance by Northwich keeper Smith was picked up by Gary Burnett, who rounded Quinn and steered the ball towards an empty net, only for Dodd to clear off the line; and Quinn collected the ball safely.

Quinn was soon in action again, flicking a fierce shot from Ali over the crossbar for a corner. From the corner Quinn made a reflex save, blocking a shot from Roddy.

After withstanding this early spell of pressure, Phillips broke down the middle for Cables, putting Prince clear, but he lost control of the ball, and Smith picked it up.

Cables forced a corner on the right, taken by Prince, which was headed out by a Northwich defender for another corner, from which McCulloch’s header was cleared off the line for yet another corner.

Prince made it third time lucky, the ball dropping nicely for Jack Phillips to flick the ball into the net to give Cables the lead on 14 minutes.

There was no room for complacency, as Northwich responded quickly, a shot by Summerskill being deflected wide. Roddy then had a shot deflected from goal by a Cables defender.

Northwich began to lay siege to the Cables penalty area, and it took some resolute defending by Cables to keep Northwich out. Roddy had another shot blocked, then Quinn came out quickly to take the ball off the feet of Abadaki.

Cables were awarded a free kick on 37 minutes for a foul on Edgar. Prince took the free kick, which O’Reilly headed on, only for the Northwich defence to clear it.

The respite was short-lived, as back came Northwich. A through-ball by Richie Burnett for Abadaki was cleared by Quinn as far as Burnett, who returned the ball into the penalty area, but this time Quinn gathered safely.

Quinn then punched the ball clear as far as Summerskill, who crossed for Abadaki, who shot wide of the far post.

Northwich made a change at the start of the second half, Sando replacing Roddy.

Northwich started the second half in a determined mind, and they didn’t have to wait long for their equaliser, which arrived on 53 minutes. Richie Burnett played a neat diagonal pass through to Gary Burnett, who fired powerfully into the far corner of the net.

Sando was certainly making a difference to the Northwich attack, looking dangerous down the left side. However, he wasted a glorious opportunity to give Northwich the lead, blasting his shot high and wide of the target.

Jonah O’Reilly then came to Cables rescue making a fine tackle to dispossess Gary Burnett as he was about to shoot.

Dodd played a long ball out of defence to the right for Prince, who crossed into the penalty area, but Smith was alert in the Northwich goal and collected the cross.

Quinn then came out quickly to punch clear a long cross from Northwich, and it was from this that Cables mounted an attack to score their second goal.

Edgar played a neat one-two with Phillips, and turned and fired a powerful shot, which Smith tipped past the post for a corner. From the corner, taken by Prince O’Reilly, flicked the ball on to Edgar, who scored from close range to give Cables the lead on 69 minutes.

Cables almost doubled their lead when, from another fine cross from Prince, Smith saved well from Joe Evans.

Northwich made their second change on 75 minutes, Harries replacing Sando.

Northwich were awarded a free kick for a foul on McCulloch. From the free kick, Summerskill fired high over the Cables cross bar.

Cables made their first change on 81 minutes, Corlett replacing Phillips, who had run himself into the ground for the Cables cause.

On 83 minutes, Northwich equalised when, from a short corner, the ball was crossed low into the penalty area and Abodaki got in front of the Cables defence to fire home powerfully from close range.

Cables made their second change, Durnin replacing Edgar.

A long ball over the top of the Northwich defence for Ryan to run onto was cleared by Smith.

A point was the least that Cables deserved, and it appeared to be heading that way until the third minute of added time, when Scott Harries broke down the left side for Northwich and whipped in a low cross for Richie Burnett to fire home the winner.

Prescot Cables: Quinn, Flood, Harper, O’Reilly, Dodd, McCulloch, Prince, Evans, Edgar, Phillips, Ryan. Substitutes: Corlett, Golding, Durnin, Hollett, Morrow.

New Mills: Smith, Smalley, Ali, Clarke, Henry, Cook, Summerskill, Roddy, G Burnett, R Burnett, Abadaki. Substitutes: Meadowcroft, Sherrett, Sando, Harries, McCoy.

One Comment

  1. Matthew Martin

    Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 9:29 pm

    Check out my short video review of the match here:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *