Decks Restaurant Opens in Prescot

By on Friday, February 27, 2015

decks_prescot_tesco_extraA family restaurant chain serving British classics has opened a new eatery in Prescot.

Manager Dave Morris, of St Helens, says the new Decks Prescot Tesco Extra “celebrates the best of British cooking and embodies the simplicity, warmth and authenticity of it.”

The menu rejuvenates three “quintessentially British eating customs,” he adds, “specifically the Full English breakfast, the Sunday roast and tea for two.”

The chain, which now has 13 restaurants across the UK, prides itself on sourcing good-quality, fresh produce while providing value for money.

Decks is providing 25 new jobs in the area – 15 full-time and 10 part-time.

(Pictured, top: chefs Steven Daniels, Hannah Cowell, Steven Mathews & Garath Jones; bottom: Jane Waring, Beck Potter, Elliott Gallagher, Emily Benson, Dave Morris, Beth Murphy, and Jessy Lea in front.)

Tesco Extra Prescot has downsized recently, reflecting the declining fortunes of the national supermarket chain. The changes have made room for Decks and other outlets, including retailer Mothercare.

The new Decks competes with a Subway sandwich restaurant, which opened on the retail park early last year, and M&S Simply Food, which opened its Prescot store and cafe on the same development in October 2014. Fast food outlet McDonald’s has been in situ since Tesco opened.

Prescot Online sent along reader Sam Watkin and her mum, Stella, to see what was on offer at Decks Prescot’s guest-only preview. Despite a few teething troubles, it sounds like they tucked in to some tasty dishes…

Decks Prescot Review

decks_prescot_tescoSam writes:

We got a great impression when we went in. We were met by a team member, who took our names and explained how it all works.

You go to the counter on the left to get drinks and order your food. I ordered a warm mulled fruit drink, but they were waiting on a cinnamon delivery, so Mum and I both had peppermint teas instead.

You take your drinks and your ticket, and choose a table. Whenever you’re ready, you go to the ‘decks,’ hand in your ticket and are served your food.

decks_restaurant_prescot_carvery_food_dessertMum had carvery, so was served her choice of chicken and ham. As a veggie, I opted for a mushroom pasta bake. There seemed to be plenty of options for both meat-eaters and vegetarians, although the veggie sausages did look slightly dry and shrivelled.

We could then help ourselves to whatever else we wanted. There was plenty of veg to choose from, although Mum would have liked to have seen more greens as in broccoli/green beans. There were also various gravies and sauces; then lots of salads and plenty of dressings.

My mushroom pasta bake was gorgeous and really filling. Mum thought her roast dinner could have been warmer, but the member of staff explained that carvery is always served a few degrees cooler than food straight from kitchens.

decks_prescot_ice_creamWe also opted for dessert. If we’d chosen the ice cream machine, we would have been given the bowls for this at the start when we ordered, but we ordered hot puddings, so had to wait to be served these.

We had to wait quite a while too, as there was a slight technical problem in the back, and they hadn’t received our order properly. It was worth the wait, however. They were gorgeous. I had sticky toffee pudding and custard, and Mum had fruit crumble and custard. A nice amount, lovely and warm – perfect!

All in all, Decks restaurant is a great addition to Prescot, and something a little different too, so we will definitely go again. The staff were really pleasant and helpful, and I recommend it. I look forward to trying the breakfasts!

Mum and I would both give Decks Prescot 8/10.

– Sam Watkin

Click here for more information about Decks Prescot Tesco Extra, including opening times.

1. j horsleyje

Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Great food carvery serving very effecient pleasant staff playing music not recomended you cant please every age group store doesnt play any music I eat a lot in witherspoons they are music free so you can talk with friends

2. Cllr D Williams

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Not impressed with the food being hot cold plates comes to mind.

3. Karen

Friday, March 13, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Terrible.waited to be served for hot drinks for a long time and capachino tasted like water.no flavour at all.waited in que for breakfast and had 2 wait for things to be made so by the time I had water the rest of my breakfast was cold.coffe was cold by the time we sat down to eat our food.the whole set up isn’t efficient.when getting buffet type food there should be constant supply’s and shouldn’t have to wait for more to be prepared.wont be returning.

4. kels

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Had a delicious carvery food waa great and hot. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The pudding was gorgeous I had sticky toffee pudding and custard I would highly recommend to others to go. Great price for what your getting. I will be returning!!!

5. june

Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 11:45 am

Had breakfast at Decks in Prescot this morning really not impressed. Firstly the plate i picked up was dirty, the eggs looked liked they had been there for ages and as this was only 8 15am i would have thought that they would have looked fresher. ok the rest of the choice was fine if not a little cold. The restaurant has only been open 1 month but as i looked around it looked really grimy, the floor was dirty and nothing seemed to be spotless considering the time it has been open. The staff were quite pleasant but i noticed that the aprons the waiting staff were wearing looked like they needed a good wash supposed to be white they looked grey . dont think i will be going again

6. Mike F

Monday, March 30, 2015 at 9:44 am

Went today for first and last time. Place was empty at 9pm, staff pleasant etc. Eggs, bacon and sausage looked like they’d been there all week. Scrambled egg was a solid mass that was way overcooked. Sausages were ok. Cold plates too.

Great idea, poor execution.

• Mike F

Monday, March 30, 2015 at 9:45 am

Sorry, 9AM. Not pm.

7. Peter

Friday, May 1, 2015 at 12:24 pm

This place seems confused and poorly run. I ordered from the menu 2 pies which were both out of stock. Manager seemed abit clueless and staff seem very unhelpful. Since it was my first time here i had no idea i had to produce my ticket to get served my food. I only found out when i read reviews on this place. The staff didnt tell me what to do and its not the most logical thing to do in a restaurant.

I feel this place is a poorly realised Toby carvery. Food is very low quality and most the mnbey seems to be invested in its decor rather than anything else. Id be very surprised if this place still exist 12 months down the line.

Tesco getting into something it knows not much about.

8. colette hillman

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Food was lousy the only things. Which was nice was the meat all vegs and potato were dry up or burn and they were out of things which we asked for which we had to wait for cause the only meat that was left was still cooking. Took my family there not again . the money I paid for the meal was not worth it