Match Report: Prescot Cables 0-0 Spennymoor Town

By on Monday, March 2, 2015

Prescot CablesSaturday 28 February 2015
Evo-Stik Division One North
Prescot Cables 0-0 Spennymoor Town
Match report by Richard Quinn

Prescot Cables and Spennymoor Town shared the spoils in an entertaining game which served as a great advert for non-league football. Despite its lack of goals, it was an enthralling encounter with little to choose between the two teams.

Cables Manager Neil Prince made two changes from the side which had beaten Harrogate Railway Athletic (2-1) in mid-week, Ben Morrow replacing Ciaran Gibson in goal and Joe Evans replacing Neil Prince.

Spennymoor kicked off playing towards the Hope Street End. It was Cables who created the first opportunity, when after good play by Phillips down the right, Jenkins passed to Durnin, whose shot was deflected off a defender and collected comfortably by Coddington in the Spennymoor goal.

Spennymoor were awarded a free kick on eight minutes for a foul. The free kick, taken by Capper, was driven low into the Cables penalty area and cleared by O’Reilly.

O’Reilly was soon in action again, but on this occasion his clearance rebounded off the back of Spennymoor’s Michael Roberts into the path of Liam Henderson, who rushed his shot and fired high over the bar.

Spennymoor were enjoying a good spell of pressure, and a long ball over the Cables defence found Liam Henderson who advanced into the penalty area and shot just wide of the far post.

From the goal kick, the ball was played to Durnin on the left, who launched a high ball into the penalty area, which Coddington collected comfortably. Cables resorted to the direct route again when Harper’s long ball into the penalty area was met by James Jenkins, who unfortunately headed wide of goal.

Cables were awarded a free kick for a foul on Gardner, which was taken from Hollett, who directed it deep into the Spennymoor penalty area. From this, Gardner had a shot blocked from close range, then Mason Ryan’s goal bound shot was deflected for a corner.

Spennymoor’s Liam Henderson received a yellow card on 26 minutes for a late challenge. Soon after this, Cables Captain Jamie McCulloch received a yellow card for a foul, as tempers began to fray. From the free kick, taken by Griffiths, Tait rose well to head goal wards, but Morrow saved comfortably.

Spennymoor won another free kick on the edge of the Cables penalty area taken by Capper, which was deflected by the Cables defensive wall for a corner. From the corner, taken by Capper, Shane Henry headed wide. Liam Hollett then came to Cables rescue with a great tackle on Michael Roberts inside the penalty area.

As the first half drew to a close, Lewis Hawkins broke down the left for Spennymoor, crossing deep into the penalty area for Liam Henderson, but Mason Ryan was alert to the danger and headed clear for Cables.

Oscar Durnin became the third player to be shown a yellow card when he was booked for a foul just before the break.

The second half began with Spennymoor catching Cables on a quick counterattack, Roberts flicking the ball on to Briggs, who shot just wide of the near post.

Spennymoor continued to apply the pressure on the Cables defence, forcing a corner. The corner, taken by Henry, was headed clear by Hollett.

Cables relieved the pressure venturing into the Spennymoor half and Joe Evans crossed into the penalty area for Durnin, who just failed to connect, and the ball was taken by Coddington in goal.

Cables then resorted to route one football, Morrow launching a high ball into the Spennymoor penalty area with Ryan and Gardner in pursuit, but Coddington was first to the ball.

On 64 minutes, a long ball out of defence by Cables put James Jenkins through on goal, only to be brought down from behind by Chris Mason. Mason was shown a yellow card, and he can feel extremely fortunate that it wasn’t red.

The free kick by Durnin was headed on by O’Reilly and cleared by the Spennymoor defence for a corner.

Cables were awarded a free kick on 67 minutes for a foul on Gardner. Hollett took the free kick, but his shot sailed over the bar.

Two minutes later, and a nice run by Phillips through the middle set up Durnin, who curled his shot just wide of the far post.


On 70 minutes, both sides made their first change, Spennymoor replacing Briggs with Peacock, and Cables bringing Corlett on for Gardner. Durnin and Phillips linked up again, but the Spennymoor defence cleared the danger.

On 75 minutes, Cables made their second change Prince replacing Evans, and he was immediately into action, flashing a shot from 25 yards just wide of the far post. Spennymoor then made their second change on 76 minutes, Fisher replacing Henderson.

The pace was frantic now, as the game moved into the last 15 minutes with both sides going all out for the winner.

Spennymoor had two shots blocked in quick succession by Griffiths and Henry, the latter winning a corner. From the corner, Roberts fired narrowly wide of the far post.


Durnin won the ball with a fine tackle outside the penalty area, and his shot was held by Cuddington in goal.

Griffiths then had a shot blocked as Spennymoor broke quickly on the counterattack, and he hit another attempt just wide.

Cables made their third change on 86 minutes, Dodd replacing Jenkins.

Cables continued to push forward in search of the winner. A shot from Phillips was deflected by Mason for a corner, taken by Prince, which was punched clear by Coddington.

Cables then won a free kick outside the Spennymoor penalty area. Prince’s shot was blocked, and Durnin shot wide from the rebound.

Prescot Cables: Morrow, Harper, Ryan, O’Reilly, Hollett, McCulloch, Gardner, Evans, Jenkins, Phillips, Durnin. Substitutes: McLaughlin, Edgar, Corlett, Prince, Dodd.

Spennymoor: Coddington, Griffiths, Mason, Dodds, Tait, Capper, Briggs, Henry, Henderson, Roberts, Hawkins. Substitutes: Groves, Fisher, Peacock, McGready, Ward.














Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *