Match Report: Prescot Cables 1-4 Bamber Bridge

By on Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Prescot CablesSaturday 14 March 2015
Evo-Stik Division One North
Prescot Cables 1-4 Bamber Bridge
Match report by Richard Quinn

Bamber Bridge beat Prescot Cables at Hope Street, helped by two spectacular goals from Stuart Vasey which wouldn’t have looked out of place on Match of the Day.

Whilst the scoreline looked convincing, Cables will count themselves unfortunate to have a goal ruled out for offside during the first half, which would have put them 2-1 ahead, and another during the second half for a foul on the goalkeeper.

Cables manager Neil Prince made four changes from the side which had lost 3-1 at Mossley the previous Saturday, Flood, Hollett, Evans and Edgar replacing Ryan, Dodd, Prince and Durnin.

Bridge kicked off playing towards the Hope Street End. Flood went down the right for Cables, playing the ball inside to Phillips, who passed to Jenkins inside the penalty area. He failed to get any power in his shot, and it was easily saved by Dovey in goal.

Ben Morrow was soon in action at the opposite end, coming out to clear the ball into touch from the advancing Green.

Morrow then did well to save Andy Harper’s back header from going out for a corner, and Marlow’s header at the far post.

Liam Hollett resorted to route one football with a long clearance out of defence, which carried straight through to Dovey in the Bamber Bridge goal, with Jack Phillips in pursuit.

Phillips created an opportunity for James Edgar on 15 minutes, who slipped and mishit his shot wide of goal.

Cables took a deserved lead on 18 minutes, when Jack Phillips did well to beat a Bamber Bridge defender and cross to the far post from the left, where James Edgar rose to head home.

The lead was short-lived, as Bridge drew level two minutes later, Danny Mahoney heading home at the far post from Green’s cross, after the Cables defence had failed to clear from a corner kick.

The pace of the game had now started to increase, and on 23 minutes James Edgar rose to head home Corlett’s cross, but was ruled to be offside, which appeared to be a very harsh decision.

Two minutes later, and Corlett played a defence-splitting pass through to Jenkins, who shot wide of the near post.

Cables paid dearly for this miss on 29 minutes, when Pickup played a nice ball through the Cables defence for Stuart Vasey, who took it in his stride and blasted a powerful shot past Morrow from the edge of the penalty area.

Joe Evans was booked on 34 minutes for a foul on McKenna. Mckenna took the free kick, finding Danny Mahoney, whose header was saved by Ben Morrow.

On 36 minutes, Bridge increased their lead, when Dovey’s long clearance fell perfectly into the path of Stuart Vasey, who volleyed into the top corner of the net from 25 yards for a spectacular goal.

Vasey went in search of his hat trick, and Morrow came out quickly to clear another long ball. Vasey then turned provider as he played a ball through for Green, who hit his shot over the bar from the left side.

Just before the break Cables captain Jamie McCulloch was booked for a foul.

Cables made their first change at the start of the second half, Stirling replacing O’Reilly.

Harper was brought down by his opposite number, Chris Marlow, winning a free kick. Stirling took the free kick, from which James Jenkins headed straight at Dovey.

Vasey flicked the ball on for Pickup as Bridge retaliated, and Harper cleared for a corner.

Cables won a free kick on 58 minutes, just outside the penalty area. The free kick, taken by Corlett, was deflected by the Bamber Bridge defensive wall and cleared.

On 61 minutes Bridge scored their fourth goal after a fine move involving Lawlor, Waddecar, Marlow, Thompson and Pickup.

After Ben Morrow got a hand to Pickup’s shot, Thompson was on hand to score from the rebound.

Cables made their second change on 67 minutes, Oscar Durnin replacing James Edgar. It was Bamber Bridge who continued to press, however, Morrow coming out to clear another long ball intended for Vasey.

On 71 minutes, Cables made their third change Greenhop replacing Edgar and Bridge made a double change, Alexander and Linney replacing Steele and Waddecar.

Cables won a free kick, taken by Durnin, which was headed out for a corner. From the corner, Jamie McCulloch’s header was cleared off the goal line.

Linney then turned a Cables defender inside the box laying the ball off to Vasey who seemed certain to claim his hat trick but this time he shot wide. There was now a flurry of activity at the Cables end as Morrow saved twice in quick succession from Pickup and Linney.

To their credit, Cables didn’t throw the towel in, and on 88 minutes they had the ball in the net when, after a challenge by Jenkins on Dovey, Stirling bundled the ball into the net from close range. The goal was ruled out for a foul on the keeper.

As the game drew to a close, Cables won a free kick on the edge of the Bamber Bridge penalty area. Phillips hit his shot over the Bridge defensive wall but Dovey saved comfortably.

Prescot Cables: Morrow, Flood, Harper, O’Reilly, Hollett, McCulloch, Corlett, Evans, Jenkins, Phillips, Edgar. Substitutes: Durnin, Gardner, McLaughlin, Stirling. Greenhop.

Bamber Bridge: Dovey, Mahoney, Marlow, Lawlor, Steele, Thompson, Waddecar, McKenna, Pickup, Green, Vasey. Substitutes: Alexander,Linney , Rowles, Clarke.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *