Match Report: Prescot Cables 0-0 Brighouse Town

By on Monday, April 20, 2015

Prescot CablesSaturday 18 April 2015
Evo-Stik Division One North
Match report by Richard Quinn

Prescot Cables and Brighouse Town shared the points in a goalless stale mate at Hope Street. Defences were on top throughout the match, and scoring opportunities were at a premium.

Cables Manager Neil Prince made two changes from the team which had beaten Farsley the previous week, to secure their place in Divison One North for next season, Liam Hollett and Sam Corlett replacing Jonah O’Reilly and Prince himself.

Cables kicked off playing towards the Knowsley end, and were soon on the attack when, after James Jenkins had lost control on the left of the penalty area, the ball fell for Jack Phillips, who unfortunately fired over the bar.

It didn’t take long, however, for Brighouse to move into gear, and they won a corner on the right, taken by Thornton, which was deflected off a Cables defender into the path of Hewitt, who hurried his shot and hit it high over the bar.

he game was flowing from end to end, and Cables forced a corner, taken by Philips, which James Jenkins headed wide of goal.

Brighouse were awarded a free kick for offside, which was taken by their keeper, Jacob Giles, who launched the ball forward, deep into the Cables penalty area, and Danny Flood was alert to the danger, heading the ball out for a corner.

From the corner, taken by Thornton, Hewitt’s header was palmed away by Morrow as far as Hurtley, whose shot was cleared off the line by a Cables defender for another corner, which the Cables defence cleared.

Brighouse continued to pressurise the Cables defence, and Boafo and Henry linked up down the left, with Danny Flood producing a fine tackle to dispossess Henry as he entered the Cables penalty area.

There were strong appeals for a penalty from the Brighouse bench, but Flood appeared to have made a fine tackle, and the referee dismissed Brighouse’s claims. Not long after this, Sturtz-Rivelli made another fine tackle on Ryan Hall, as Brighouse continued to apply the pressure.

On 18 minutes, the best chance of the match so far fell to Boafo, who latched onto a long ball from Hurtley, outpacing the Cables defence, taking the ball round Morrow only to shoot into the side netting.

Cables eventually began to build an attack and responded with Corlett having a shot blocked, which fell for Jenkins, who fired wide.

Soon afterwards, Corlett had another opportunity, his shot being deflected off Edgar back into his path, and this time his shot drifted narrowly wide of the far post.

Brighouse resorted to route one football with a long ball out of defence for Thornton but Morrow was alert to the danger and first to the ball.

As the first half drew to a close, Cables were looking the stronger side, James Jenkins just failing to control Sam Corlett’s through pass.

Cables were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position outside the Brighouse penalty area. Sturtz-Rivelli took the free kick, beating the defensive wall but Giles saved comfortably.

Brighouse restarted in the second half, but it was Cables who were soon on the offensive, Jack Phillips’s shot being headed over his own bar by Adam Field for a corner.

The corner, taken by Corlett, was held by Giles. Giles made a long clearance for Boafo to pursu,e but the ball sailed out of play.

Cables made a double change on 52 minutes, when Liam Dodd and Joe Evans replaced Brian Sturtz-Rivelli and James Jenkins.

Jack Phillips made a nice cross-field pass to put Matt West into space on the right, but he was unable to control the ball, and it went out of play for a throw in.

Cables were awarded a free kick on the right when Corlett was brought down. Phillips took the free kick, which was headed on by Dodd, where Giles collected the ball with James Edgar waiting to pounce.

On 58 minutes, Brighouse made their first change, Chris Fisher replacing Ryan Hall.

Brighouse created an opportunity through Boafo, who moved menacingly into the penalty area, but Morrow was alert and blocked Boafo’s first attempt then gathered his second attempt safely

On 65 minutes, Matt West crossed to the far post for Sam Corlett, whose shot was cleared off the line by Stor for a corner. Phillips took the corner, but Giles once again held it comfortably.

Phillips was in the thick of the action and he played the ball inside to Matt West whose long rang effort sailed wide of the target. On 69 minutes, Cables made their third and final change, James Gardner replacing Matt West.

Danny Flood headed clear James Hurtley’s cross as Brighouse mounted an attack down the right, and the Cables defence had to be alert when Thornton played the ball through to Henry inside the penalty area, Dodd putting the ball out for a throw in.

Liam Hollett tried his luck with a 25-yard effort, which sailed narrowly wide as Cables went in search of a winning goal.

Brighouse made a double change on 82 minutes, Martin Allison and Tyrone Gay replacing William Tolley and Ben Thornton.

As the game moved into its final stages, both sides threw caution to the wind in an attempt to snatch a winning goal.

Boafo had a shot saved by Ben Morrow after a good run from deep, and at the other end both James Edgar and Jack Phillips had close-range efforts blocked.

Boafo latched onto a misplaced back pass to lob the ball over Ben Morrow, but it was wide of the target. Jack Phillips had one last chance for Cables, but his shot went high over the bar.

Prescot Cables: Morrow, Flood, Harper, Sturtz-Rivelli, Hollett, McCulloch, Corlett, West, Jenkins, Phillips, Edgar. Substitutes: J Gardner, Dodd, Evans, Prince, Black.
Brighouse Town: Giles, Storr, Tolley, Field, Hewitt, Wilson, Hall, Hurtley, Boafo, Thornton, Henry. Substitutes: Fisher, Allison, Brown, Gay, Quinn.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *