Prescot Cables Manager out after Poor Start to Season (plus Match Report)

By on Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Prescot CablesManager Neil Prince is leaving Prescot Cables FC after opening the 2015-16 season with three big defeats in a row.

The team was beaten 4-1 in its first game, then lost 6-0 to Witton Albion and 4-0 to Glossop North End.

Joe Gibiliru is caretaker manager until someone new is found to helm the club, which plays in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One.

In an official statement, Cables said, “The club would like to thank Neil, Neil Black and John O’Toole for all the hard work they have put in, and wish them well for the future.”

Saturday 22 August 2015
Prescot Cables v Glossop North End
Match Report by Richard Quinn

Prescot Cables’ disappointing start to the new season continued with another heavy defeat at home to newly promoted Glossop.

Cables Manager Neil Prince made three changes from the side which had lost 6-0 to Witton in midweek, with Garner, Grant and Cliff replacing Kennedy, O’Reilly and Evans.

Glossop kicked off playing towards the Knowsley End and were soon on the attack, Russell, Rainford and Moran linking up down the left.

Glossop were awarded a free kick for a foul on Moran, which was taken by Williams, which was headed out for a corner by the Cables defence. Williams took the corner, which was cleared by the Cables defence.

Cables cleared their line and broke forward down the left, Bram Johnstone crossing the ball into the penalty area for Rob Doran, but it fell just short of him and was cleared by the Glossop defence.

On 9 minutes Glossop resorted to the direct approach and were rewarded with the opening goal. From a clearance taken by Glossop keeper Gregg Hall the ball fell invitingly for Matt Williams who took the ball forward, holding off Phil Bannister’s challenge before unleashing a spectacular 20-yard strike into the far corner of the Cables’ net.

Glossop almost added to their lead immediately, Prince tackling Rainford as he was about to shoot, and clearing for Cables. Cables responded with Brown playing a fine ball through the Glossop defence for Doran, who flicked the ball past Hall only for the Glossop defence to clear.

The game was free-flowing, and play switched rapidly from end to end.

Rainford held off a challenge from Garner, but he shot weakly at Cookson, who saved easily.

Cables forced a corner, from which Cliff’s shot was blocked by the Glossop defence. Glossop then forced two corners in quick succession, but the Cables defence held firm clearing the danger effectively.

On 18 minutes, the Cables defence failed to clear the ball after another Glossop attack, and the ball broke to Kieran Lugsden on the edge of the box, who turned sharply and fired neatly passed Cookson to put Glossop 2-0 ahead.

Glossop were now threatening to run away with the game, and on 25 minutes a clumsy challenge on Ashley Stott by Bram Johnstone resulted in a penalty being awarded to Glossop.

Ex Cables player Jamie Rainford made no mistake from the spot to put Glossop 3-0 ahead.

Glossop almost added to their tally when Russell crossed for Keiran Lugsden, whose glancing header flashed just wide of the far post.

Stott then beat the offside trap, but Cookson pulled off a fine save to deny him. Rainford then latched on to a long ball over the top of the Cables defence, but Cookson denied Glossop again with another fine save.

Cables made their first change on 37 minutes, Sam Gifford replacing Rob Doran.

Glossop were still hunting for more goals, and a chip shot from Rainford went just over the bar, nestling on the net.  Rainford, who was having a fine game, went even closer when he took Stott’s pass and rattled the underside of the Cables cross bar.

Cables kicked off the second half hoping for a much improved performance. Brown and Prince linked up to provide an opportunity for Phil Bannister, whose shot was blocked.

However Glossop soon got back on the attack, and Cookson was in action again, saving from Rainford, then punching the ball clear from the resulting corner.

Rainford came close again on 52 minutes, his shot being deflected over the bar for a corner. On 56 minutes Lugsden put Rainford through on goal, but Cookson responded quickly making another fine save.

Neil Prince played a fine ball to Sam Gifford inside the box, but the ball was taken off his feet by a Glossop defender for a corner to Cables.

Prince took the corner and almost scored directly from it, Hall punching clear off the goal line.

Glossop made two changes in quick succession, Evanson replacing Stott and Carey replacing Rainford.

Karl Brown had an opportunity to break Cables duck, but his 20-yard shot went over the cross bar. Moran then broke down the left for Glossop crossing for Evanson whose shot was blocked.

Cables made their second change on 74 minutes, Evans replacing Cliff. On 75 minutes, Glossop made their third and final change, White replacing Stott.

Carey almost increased Glossop’s lead when his shot struck the far post, and he then tried his luck with a lob over Cookson, who managed to flick the ball over the  bar.

Williams then had a goal ruled out for offside as Glossop looked to add to their total.

The fourth goal finally arrived on 82 minutes, when Joe Evans handled Matt Williams’s shot on the goal line, resulting in a penalty being awarded.  Carey converted from the spot to make it 4-0 to Glossop.

Prescot Cables: Cookson,Garner, Johnstone, Grant, Holt, Bannister, Doran, Prince, Williams, Brown,Cliff. Substitutes: J Edgar, Gifford, Evans, Herbert, Morrow.

Glossop North End: Hall, Bowler, Russell, Kelvin Lugsden, Young, Williams, Mulholland, Stott, Rainford, Keiran Lugsden, Moran. Substitutes: Carey, Lofthouse, White, Evanson.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *