Match Report: Prescot Cables 4-0 Ossett Albion

By on Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Prescot CablesPrescot Cables returned to winning ways with a resounding victory over Ossett Albion at Hope Street.

Cables Manager Andy Paxton made two changes from the team which had lost at Farsley in the FA Trophy last week, Joe Evans and James Edgar replacing Kirkbride and Nicholson.

Cables kicked off playing towards the Knowsley End, but it was Ossett who applied the early pressure. A good move down the right ended with Connor Bower crossing for Rob Boardman, whose header was cleared by the Cables defence.

Boardman then moved wide crossing into the penalty area for Matthews, but once again the Cables defence rose to the challenge, clearing the danger.

Ossett’s next attack was down the left side, Hardaker crossing for Boardman, who flicked the ball just wide of the far post.

Against the run of play, Cables caught Ossett off-guard and took the lead on 3 minutes, with a goal from Lloyd Dean.

From a goal kick taken by Burgess, the ball was played forward to Dean, who lobbed the ball over the advancing Souter into the net.

Cables began to take control of the game, and they came close to increasing their lead when Dean headed across to Bannister, whose shot was blocked by an Ossett defender for a corner. The corner, taken by Doran on the left, sailed over the crossbar and out of play.

Cables could not afford to be complacent, and Ossett almost took advantage of some slack marking, Bower crossing for Boardman, but O’Reilly cleared the danger for Cables.

On 15 minutes Dean, who was proving a handful for the Ossett defence, crossed for Joe Evans, whose first shot was blocked and second just wide of the post.

Matthews then found himself through on goal one-to-one with Marcus Burgess, who pulled off a fine save.

Cables were awarded a free kick for a foul on McCulloch. The free kick, taken by George Mannion, was headed on by Rob Doran for James Edgar, who headed over the bar.

Ossett were still in the game, and Boardman, seeing Marcus Burgess off his line, attempted a long-range strike, which went just over the crossbar.

On 21 minutes, Ossett centre back and club chairman Dominic Riordan limped off with an injury and was replaced by Wesley Milnes.

The game was being played at a relentless pace and there was no let-up for both defences as play switched from one end to the other.

Joe Evans flashed a shot wide of the post from the edge of the box on 26 minutes, and George Mannion’s in-swinging corner was punched away by Ossett keeper Souter.

Marcus Burgess was called into action again, saving from Bower, but on 31 minutes he was beaten by Eddy Birch’s powerful shot from the edge of the box, which fortunately for Cables hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced outwards. From the clearance, Rob Doran found himself clean through on goal, rounding Souter but firing over the crossbar.

On 35 minutes, Danny South received a yellow card for a foul on Cables captain Jamie McCulloch, who was having his usual industrious game in the centre of Cables’ midfield.

Rob Doran found himself through on goal again chasing a long ball; Souter was first to it, but he kicked the ball against Doran, with it rebounding behind him, but he managed to gather it with Doran in hot pursuit.

As the first half drew to a close, Cables scored their second goal on 44 minutes.

Some nice play down the right between Evans, Bannister and McCulloch ended with a precision pass to Doran, who scored with a fine shot inside the far post to make the half time score 2-0 to Cables.

Ossett made their second change at the beginning of the second half, Adam Jones replacing Nick Matthews. Ossett certainly began the second half positively, Burgess making another fine save from Connor Bower.

Boardman then dribbled through the Cables defence, but Burgess came to the rescue with another save.

Bower then had another opportunity, shooting wide when in a good position.

On 58 minutes Ossett were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position outside the Cables penalty area. Boardman played the ball into Brunt, who fired over the bar.

Some sloppy defending almost let Ossett in, but Burgess was alert, recovering the ball. A pass by Hendrie for Boardman was just too far ahead of him, and Burgess collected comfortably.

After this spell of sustained pressure from Ossett, Cables responded. Flood’s cross was missed by Dean, but the ball fell for James Edgar, whose shot was pushed away by Souter for a corner.

Burgess made yet another save from Jones as Ossett showed that they were still very much in the game. Cables responded with Edgar and Dean linking up down the left, the ball being played to Doran whose shot was saved by Souter.

Cables won a corner on 77 minutes, taken by Mannion, which was cleared by the Ossett defence. However, the ball was collected by Doran on the edge of the box, who advanced into the penalty area and fired the ball into the far corner of the net for a fine individual goal to make the score 3-0 to Cables.

Ossett didn’t throw the towel in, and Burgess made two saves in quick succession from Birch and Boardman.

There then came a flurry of changes, with Wright replacing Hendrie for Ossett and George Lomax, Joe Nicholson and Shane Glean replacing Lloyd Dean, Jamie McCulloch and Phil Bannister, who had all made significant contributions to the Cables cause.

In the third minute of added time, Cable put the icing on the cake with a fourth goal.

George Lomax broke down the right, passing inside to Rob Doran who rounded Souter and slotted the ball into an empty net to make it 4-0 to Cables.

Prescot Cables: Burgess, Flood, Mannion, Herbert, O’Reilly, Evans Bannister, McCulloch, Doran, Dean,Edgar. Substitutes: Shinks, Joe Nicholson, Glean, Josh Nicholson, Lomax.

Ossett Albion: Souster, Nicholson, Hardaker, Birch, Riordan, South, Bower, Brunt, Boardman, Matthews, Hendrie. Substitutes: Jones, Milnes, Thompson, Wright.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *