Match Report: Prescot Cables 2-1 Brighouse Town

By on Monday, February 15, 2016


Prescot Cables defeated Brighouse Town in an exciting game at Hope Street. Cables Manager Andy Paxton made three changes from the team which had lost to Mossley two weeks ago, Jacob Jones, Darryl Patton and Lloyd Dean replacing Anthony Shinks, Rob Doran and Andy Scarisbrick.

Before the game there was a minute’s silence in memory of Dave Parry, a loyal supporter of Cables who had recently passed away.

Cables kicked off playing towards the Hope Street End and soon applied the pressure on the Brighouse defence, James Edgar’s accurate cross into the penalty area being headed out for a corner by a Brighouse defender.

The corner, taken by Edgar, was headed out for by Pollard for another corner, again taken by Edgar, which was overhit and sailed out of play.

Joe Evans then intercepted a pass from Brighouse’s Leon Henry and played the ball through the Brighouse defence for Lloyd Dean, who attempted to round Hagreen in goal, who managed to get a hand to the ball and conceded a corner, which was cleared by the Brighouse defence.

As play switched from one end to the other, Daniel Facey found himself clean through with only Marcus Burgess to beat, but Burgess saved well.

On 16 minutes Cables were awarded a penalty for what the referee deemed to be dangerous kicking by a Brighouse player. Phil Bannister stepped up to take the perfect penalty, stroking the ball into the far corner of the net.

On 25 minutes, Brighouse created an opportunity for Ben Atkinson, whose powerful shot was palmed away by Burgess for a corner.

Cables responded with James Edgar breaking down the left, passing inside to Lloyd Dean, whose cross into the box was headed clear.

The respite for the Brighouse defence didn’t last long, as Andy Nugent crossed from the left into the penalty area, where Phil Bannister sent a glancing header flashing wide of the far post. Herbert, Bannister and Dean then linked up to provide James Edgar with a chance, but he fired over the bar.

As half time approached, Brighouse began to apply plenty of pressure, but the Cables defence held firm.

Leon Henry crossed from the left for Tom Robinson,who headed over the bar.

Cables then broke quickly down the right side, with Bannister crossing for Edgar, who just failed to get a touch on the ball.

Marcus Burgess then mis-hit an attempted clearance from a back pass straight to Leon Henry, but the Cables defence cleared the danger. On the stroke of half-time Brighouse won a corner on the  left, taken by Fisher, which was punched clear by Burgess.

Brighouse began the second half on the attack, with a long ball played through the Cables defence for Ryan Hall, whose shot was saved by Burgess.

Both sides were throwing caution to the wind during the early stages of the second half, and Phil Bannister had a shot blocked for a corner.

Daniel Facey broke menacingly down the right for Brighouse, but Jonah O’Reilly made a perfectly timed block tackle.

On 54 minutes Joe Evans came close to increasing Cables’ lead with a shot from 20 yards, which flashed inches wide of the far post.

On 57 minutes Cables scored their second goal when Lloyd Dean cut in from the left and crossed diagonally into the box, where Joe Evans was waiting at the far post to send a looping header over Hagreen, into the far corner of the net.  This was the signal for Brighouse to make their first substitution, Boafo replacing Robinson.

There was no let-up from Cables, however, as they looked for a third goal, Bannister crossing for Dean, whose shot was scrambled off the goal line.

Brighouse made their second change on 62 minutes, Hollingworth replacing Field. Jacob Jones, making his debut at right back for Cables, had a shot blocked before Brighouse eventually broke out of defence, Hollingworth crossing for Hall, whose shot was blocked.

On 70 minutes Brighouse made their third and final change, Isaac Baldwin replacing Daniel Facey.

Brighouse were now coming more into the game, and Pollard’s cross from the right was headed clear by Joe Herbert.

Jonah O’Reilly, who had been solid at the back for Cables, cleared the danger for Cables, winning the ball under pressure from Boafo, who had added pace to the Brighouse attack since coming on.

Cables made their first change on 76 minutes, Joe Nicholson replacing Darryl Patton.

On 84 minutes Brighouse pulled a goal direct from a free kick taken by James Pollard, his 20-yard strike flashing past Burgess into the far corner of the net to set up a tense finish.

Cables made two late substitutions, Andy Scarisbrick replacing Lloyd Dean, and Connor Grainger replacing Phil Bannister.  Deep into added time Brighouse won a free kick taken by Pollard who launched the ball forwards into the penalty area but Burgess gathered it and Cables held on to collect the three points.

Prescot Cables: Burgess, Jones, Nugent, O’Reilly, Herbert, Evans, Bannsiter, Staunton-Turner, Patton, Dean, Edgar. Substitutes: Mannion, Grainger, Scarisbrick, Joe Nichoslon, Josh Nicholson.

Mossley: Hagreen, Pollard, Fisher, Field, Hewitt, Thornton, Hall, Atkinson, Facey, Robinson, Henry. Substitutes: Boafo, Baldwin, Hollingworth, Haigh, Stead.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *