Prescot Family Stage Protest against KHT
A family of nine held a protest outside their home today (Monday 4 April), claiming Knowsley Housing Trust have let them down.
Banners outside the Jones family’s house in Lathum Close, Prescot, read, “Neglected and abused by KHT.”
Sean (pictured) and Beverley Jones have seven children, aged nine upwards, but only four bedrooms. Three of the family are disabled, including eldest daughter Francesca, 25, and mum Bev, who is awaiting a “major operation.”
They say they’ve suggested other properties in the area, but KHT have failed to find them an alternative.
The social housing group’s only offer, they say, has been of two separate properties, which would split the family.
The current property has several other problems that make living conditions difficult, including missing doors, damaged floors, draughty windows and no shower – only a bath.
“KHT have been aware of the situation for a long time,” Mrs Jones’s daughter Georgina Brockway told Prescot Online.
A sign on the property said it had been ongoing for five years.
The combination of overcrowding and unsuitable conditions “is causing them considerable stress,” she continued.
The Jones family made local people aware of their protest on social media this morning.
In response to a query, KHT’s Director of Customer Service, Guy Corbett, told Prescot Online: “KHT has been working with Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council and the family to resolve the repairs and address the overcrowding issues.
“A number of proposals have been discussed and considered during this period and we are hopeful of resolving the situation to achieve a satisfactory outcome.
“A representative of our repairs contractor is on site today to review the repairs requirements of the property with the family.”