Prescot East By-election Is 9 February

By on Monday, January 9, 2017

prescot_town_council_crestA by-election will go ahead in the Prescot Town Council ward of Prescot East on Thursday 9 February.

The vacancy has arisen due to non-attendance by Cllr Heather Baker.

The three candidates standing so far are (quotes from their respective parties):

joanne-burke-green-party-prescot-knowsleyJoanne Burke (Green Party): “Joanne, an NHS employee for over 30 years, was instrumental in the fight to stop the houses being built on Whitakers Green Belt, and has organised local community events such as Friends of Eaton Street Park ‘Picnic in the Park’ and ‘Christmas Grotto.’ Joanne has successfully raised over £1,000 for a portable defibrillator in Prescot and also volunteers at Friends of Eaton Street Park Pavilion café every Sunday.”

alishia-fitzsimmons-labour-prescot-knowsleyAlishia Fitzsimmons (Labour Party): “Alishia is 27, and lives in Prescot. She’s previously worked as a care worker with vulnerable adults in the Prescot area, and on a dementia Ward in Whiston hospital. She still works as a research assistant for the NHS. She has volunteered with town council events such as the lights switch on and the carnival over recent years, and would like the opportunity to be elected and get more opportunity to work locally as a town councillor.”

rachel-roberts-lib-dem-prescot-knowsleyRachel Roberts (Liberal Democrats): “Rachel is a great young woman and a fantastic campaigner who cares about Prescot. … This by-election is important because it can: End the Labour one-party state on Prescot Town Council and elect a hard-working Prescotian; Give us the momentum in the Mayoral campaign to save our greenbelt; Send the Council and KHT a powerful message over the waste facility fire and the proposed demolition of sheltered accommodation.”

Speaking of the upcoming election, town clerk Daniel Wilson said: “I hope as many residents as possible from the East Ward exercise their right to vote.

“Town councils are the grass roots of local democracy therefore it is important for the town that residents vote for the individual they feel will best represent their views, opinions and interests at council.”

Prescot Online can confirm that two more vacancies have arisen due to the resignations of Cllrs Denise Allen (Prescot East) and Matthew Allen (Prescot North West). By-elections will be called only if 10 electors from each ward request it.

1. John Hayes

Monday, January 9, 2017 at 4:17 pm

As an ex-pat Prescotian living in Devon, it seems to me that a Prescotian of whatever shade should be elected to fight for the future of the town (except perhaps a Tory!).

2. RED TED

Friday, January 13, 2017 at 11:21 pm

SORRY FRIEND LIB DEMS ARE AT FAULT FOR CUT IN( HEALTH)( EDUCATION ) (LOCAL GOV IE 37% IN FUNDING) (BEDROOM TAX ) ALONG WITH THERE TORY MATE’S, VOTING TORY OR LIB DEMS CAN DAMAGE YOUR HEALTH.

• Peter

Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 1:04 pm

bore off mate, Prescot has had 45 years of Labour cuts.

3. Dan

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 10:40 am

I’ll vote for anyone who pledges to bring Decks back to Prescot.

• RED TED

Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 1:23 pm

HI PETER

The torys where in power 45 year ago in Prescot,carry on reading the

sun.

• Peter

Friday, January 27, 2017 at 4:18 pm

just keep toeing the party line as you’ve always done, no opinion of your own.
        can any of the local Labour councillors make a decision on their own, you know to represent the local communities wishes?

Prescot residents voted to keep the swimming baths – knocked down, houses built.
        No to houses on green belt – more houses get built.
        No to parking charges – car park fees introduced.
        etc etc

you’re all sheep and i truly hope the lib dems or Greens or independents start to get elected because you lot are a disgrace to the hard working people of Prescot.
        Knowsley borough has the worst schools in England but hey, that’s okay, it’s Government cuts. No it’s not, it’s idiots breeding more idiots in a borough run by idiots.

4. Ronnie Jones

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 3:19 pm

5. Jane

Monday, January 30, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Calling residents idiots Peter, showing yourself to be a top bloke there! I think you’ll find that Knowsley are no longer responsible for the majority of schools in the Borough. I think you’ll also find that Prescot baths was hemorrhaging money and was not sustainable. but hey, the people of Prescot want a baths in their area, forget the fact that the deficit to fund it has to come out of a budget for adult or children’s social care. And while we are on that matter, free car parking, is that all you lot go on about. Open your eyes, there are much bigger issues like funding the care of vulnerable residents! So what if you have to pay 80p to park your car. There are about 200 free car parking spaces at the back of somerfield! I am by no means labour, but from what I can see, when the liberals had control of the town council for about 12 years, and were more represented on the borough council than they are now, things were no better.

• Peter

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Ever wondered why there are so many ‘vulnerable adults’ as you call them in Knowsley?
      That’s all the local labour cllrs are interested in, raise taxes to pay for 1000s of waifs and strays who for all we know are ex drug addicts and alcoholics. Pathetic excuses but i suppose the sheep will still vote as it keep them in a council house.
      So KMBC don’t run the schools, they don’t run the care homes for the elderly, they ‘outsource’ pretty much everything don’t they? Happy to keep increasing Council Tax though!
      And yes, Prescot voted to keep the baths as we’re the only ones paying full council tax so why not listen to locals. Go to Huyton to swim, you must be joking, I wouldn’t go there unless I was in a tank.
      Personally, I can’t wait for the Liverpool City Region to take over and all you useless council workers and local councillors can be replaced with some professionals who listen and know what you’re doing.

I’m no Lib Deb, ex Lab in fact after seeing the destruction my town has suffered since being part of Knowsley.

6. Jane

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:36 pm

I bet every party you have just disassociated yourself with just breathed a sigh of relief, given your ignorant, narrow minded views on why people might be considered vulnerable. Ever consider that people could be vulnerable due to a learning or physical disability, or because they are in poverty!? And referring to ‘you useless council workers and councillors’, of which I am neither. Also, more ignorance, as the Liverpool City Region will not be ‘taking over’ or replacing local councils. Wow, that guy was spot on, where do you get your information, the sun, the daily mail, the back of toilet cubicle doors!? What on earth are you on about, Prescot are the only ones who pay full council tax? Your utter lack of a tangible grasp on what a council is and does is astonishing. Do me a favour mate, pick up a book, turn on the news, buy a broadsheet and educate yourself. I’m embarrassed to be from the same place as you with views like that. Your opinions in no way reflect any other Prescot person I have come across.

• Sian Moran

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Excellent reply

7. Peter

Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 5:14 pm

and you look around the town centre and think “I’m so proud of my town” do you?
    I have an opinion that is wildly different to yours, making it no less valid.
    Correct, I care not one jot for scallies or vulnerable adults (idiots) from Kirkby, Canny farm or Huyton who have been dumped on my town with various halfway houses and ‘social mobility’ in the name of progress.
    I suppose you think it’s great we have a Foodbank, at least that’s one bank we’ll have forever in Prescot eh!

I suggest you get out more in the town centre and speak to people born and bred here, who’s parents and grand parents lived here before dismissing me as a lone voice. Obviously not judging by the amount of people up in arms over the baths, schooling, lack of A level colleges, greenbelt grab, general town facilities and KMBC woeful mismanagement etc.

Keep it going, I’m enjoying the debate, you’re so easy to wind up like all the other lefty snowflakes who think only their opinion counts.

8. Jane

Friday, February 3, 2017 at 2:05 pm

I am one of the people who were born and bred here, who’s parents and grandparents lived here as a matter of fact. I didn’t say your opinion wasn’t valid, but it is abhorrent and ignorant. You are clearly an idiot yourself if you think there are no vulnerable people who were born and bred in prescot, and that they all come from other areas. Some of these ‘vulnerable’ people have worked hard their whole lives, many in prescot, and now need looking after due to factors often outside of their control. And who mentioned ‘scallies’!? I think it’s appalling that we have to have food banks, but they are necessary to feed people who work hard and don’t get a living wage for it, having to chose between heating or eating.
    I think you’ll find I’m not getting wound up! You’re the one arguing with yourself about scallies and greenbelt, two things I haven’t even mentioned. But please, be my guest and continue with your narrow minded, ignorant, arrogant, self entitled view point. You’re making quite the fool of yourself. 👍🏻

• Peter

Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 11:53 am

You seem fixated on vulnerable people and have failed (again) to answer the original points?
      Baths unsustainable so you’re happy to have them knocked down, same with all the various sports that were once based at Prescot Leisure Centre too I assume?
      Ever thought that keeping everyone fit and healthy with exercise might avoid obesity and a whole host of health problems in the future, which means a lot less ‘vulnerable adults’ claiming benefits because they’re now addicts or obese or diabetic. KMBCs approach is to get rid of anything that isn’t based in Huyton and have a short term approach.

I find YOUR opinion ignorant as it shows you know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

If you think all these new housing association flats and new houses are for Prescot residents you’re living in la la land. Prescot is now infested with dropkicks from Liverpool, Huyton and the other scumbag areas who are ruining Prescot. That’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. It won’t be long before we have scrambler bikes up and down eccleston street! More ‘vulnerable adults’ who didn’t have a cuddle when they were five maybe?

As for standing for election as an Independent, watch this space. Although, I’ll hopefully have the ear of Mr Rotherham as the new lord mayor of the Liverpool city region first. Put in some plans to rid Merseyside of the failed and failing councils and their councillors. I mean, it takes something special to fall below St Helens in being the worst borough in England for education and health!! But’s lets all focus on ‘vulnerable adults’ because that means benefits, grants and funding…

If you’re proud of Prescot as it is now then you really are beyond help.

9. Tony Ely

Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Seems that Peter has a lot of criticism about lefty snowflakes etc when it is in fact the right of the labour party that has controlled KMBC. Maybe Peter would like to stand at a future election with his ideaology and solutions testing out if born and bred Prescotians will vote for him.

• Peter

Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 11:55 am

It’s just the Labour Party to me. Clueless an local and national level with MPs who are just in it for themselves.
      As for KMBC, just have a look at the fantastic job they’ve done over the last 45 years.

Change is coming.

• RED TED

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 11:42 am

Hi peter, you work for PRESCOT ONLINE,keep winding people up ,not me i

know who you are.

• Prescot Online

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 11:53 am

On the contrary, ‘Red Ted,’ I know who YOU are, and I know who PETER is. Both of you are using false names and have been for some time.

Peter, for the record, has nothing to do with Prescot Online, and my personal view is that his attacks on vulnerable residents are disgusting.

10. Prescot Online

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Or to put it another way, I know who you are, Mr B, and I know who you are, Mr J, and I find your comments and the fact you both use multiple sock puppets pretty repugnant.

Editor, Prescot Online

11. RED TED

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 10:36 pm

To Editor Prescot Online

Anybody who reads Lib Dems focus leaflet knows,peter pan is member Lib Dems and playing games with the people of prescot ,but the reel problem is you, the editor prescot online, have allowed them to get away for years,its only when you spit your dummy out you tell the truth,ps i will print my name when you get peter pan print is,