Match Report: Prescot Cables 5-1 Kendal Town

By on Monday, October 15, 2018

Prescot Cables booked their place in the next round of this FA Trophy with a thoroughly dominant display in front of a bumper crowd at Volair Park on Saturday 13 October.

Right from the first whistle Cables’ high-tempo pressure was rewarded with a goal from James Edgar in just the third minute of the game.

Edgar would go close again in the following minutes, seeing one opportunity hit the post, as well as a wind-assisted cross collide with the crossbar directly from a corner kick.

Cables were further rewarded in the 24th minute, following a battle of brawn on the left hand side: Josh-Klein Davies flicked a ball into the box, causing Kendal defenders to rush and panic under pressure from Edgar, and a misplaced back pass allowed Chris Almond to sweep in and double Cables’ lead.

Kendal Town returned with pressure of their own and forced two saves from goalkeeper Ben Barnes, before a long cross up the left wing from Valter Fernandes set up a fantastic run from Michael Monaghan. He beat the keeper one-on-one to score Cables’ third shortly before the halftime whistle blew, effectively killing the tie.

The goals didn’t stop in the second half, as Cables ended any Kendal hopes of a comeback when James Edgar’s fine display was rewarded with his second of the game and Cables’ fourth. A flicked-on header from captain James McCulloch, into the path of Edgar, resulted in a neat finish. 4-0.

Kendal didn’t give up and rallied to pull one back when Stephen Yawson scored in the 83rd minute.

However, the introduction of the returning Harry Cain and Jordan Southworth as substitutes proved to be a winning combination, when a cross to the right-hand side let a well-controlled pass from Cain reach the feet of Southworth, who made no mistake and slotted the ball into the bottom corner to end the game at 5-1.

The Roanzo Truck & Van Man of the Match award was presented by Alan McNally of Joseph’s Joinery to worthy recipient James Edgar (pictured), who dominated the left-hand side from start to finish and had two goals to show for his efforts

The game was in support of Prostate Cancer UK, and we’d like to thank all those who gave generously to this cause today. The attendance was 408, and we’d also like to extend our thanks to everybody who attended for Non-League Day, and we hope to see you at Volair Park again soon.

The game was also sponsored to mark the passing of Alan Honnor, a much-respected Prescotian.

Cables march on into the next round of the FA Trophy, and their next game will be at home to Mossley in the league on Tuesday 16 October, with a kick-off time of 7:45pm.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *